Chapter Twenty Five

Feli was getting worse. He wouldn't even talk anymore unless he was talked to, and he was hardly eating. Ludwig payed close attention to Feli, noticing the drastic decrease in Feli's food intake. "Feli, are you okay?" Ludwig asked, "you aren't sick, are you?" Feli looked over at Ludwig and smiled. "I'm doing okay," Feli said, "I'm not sick." He weakly smiled at Ludwig and continued walking. Ludwig frowned, knowing obviously, something was up. They only had one day until they had to stow away to Sicily, and five days until their boat to America would leave.

While Feli was sleeping, Ludwig decided to pull out his journal and write for a bit.

April 2, 1922

We have one more day until we have to stow away to Sicily, and around three days until our boat to America leaves. Everything is going okay, but I suspect Feli is sick. He hasn't been eating or talking very much, and he gets tired easily. I'm really scared for him because he might not make it to America. Our food supply is running short as well, we will need to get to Sicily fast even if that means I have to drag Feli with me. I know that we both just want this trip to be over and to get to America as fast as possible. But once we get to Sicily the hard part will be over.