Chapter Nineteen

Ludwig and Feli kept walking for another three days while Ludwig talked about a train that they'd be hopping on, that took them through the mountains of Switzerland, and most of Italy.
Feli was happy that he wouldn't have to walk through two countries, but doubted that he would be able to jump onto a train car.

When the night finally came, Feli was more nervous than ever. "Okay, Feli," Ludwig whispered, "we need to run alongside the train. I will jump on first, and then you throw me the duffle bags, and then I'll help you on." Feli nodded at Ludwig's plan.

They heard the train whistle, and started running. Ludwig looked frantic, trying to find an open car. "Found one!" He finally yelled, he let go of Feli's hand and easily jumped on. "The duffle bags!" He yelled once more, Feli threw him both of them.

Feli was trying so hard to keep up, the train was moving too fast. Feli jumped and grabbed for Ludwig's outstretched hand, but he couldn't hold on. "I can't!" Feli yelled, "I can't hold on!" Ludwig tried to encourage Feli, "yes you can!" He was beginning to feel Feli's hand slip. Feli looked up at Ludwig hopelessly, with one final scared glance. Feli let go, and hit the ground. Ludwig watched his friend disappear.