Chapter Twenty Four

Francis Bonnefoy had arrived in New York City two days ago. He was sitting inside of a breakfast diner, looking at the window at the cloudy weather above. He was unsure about this, he had only seen Ludwig a few times and that was when he was picking up Gilbert from their house or something or other. He remembered that Ludwig had blonde hair, colbalt blue eyes, that he was slightly scrawny, and he was a somewhat shy demeanor. That is all Francis could remember in particular. He was so lost in thought that he was startled by an unmistakable British accent.

"Well, would you look who it is." Francis looked up only to see an old rival, Arthur Kirkland. "Hello, Arthur." Francis said, "what brings you to New York?" Arthur sat down across from Francis and rested his hand. "Oh you know, mostly business and touring. Seeing how my company is keeping up." Francis nodded. "So your company is caving in too?" He finally asked, looking out the window at the grey clouds again. "I wouldn't say caving in," Arthur said, "I prefer the term...struggling." Francis knit his eyebrows, Arthur has always been one to keep his pride. Changing the subject, Francis decided to make some small talk. "So how is Alfred?" He asked, "isn't he in boarding school?" Arthur nodded. "It's in Chicago," Arthur added, "he returned last week." Francis nodded slowly. "Matthieu is in a boarding school in Vancouver. He will be coming down to visit for Christmas though." Arthur nodded. "I don't think I'll be seeing Alfred for Christmas," Arthur looked down at his hands "I'll be needed in London." Francis nodded. "Well I believe I must be going," Francis finally said, "I'll see you again? Maybe we can meet for coffee again once our companies start getting on the right track." Arthur nodded, squinting as Francis left the diner.

***

Francis was in his hotel room when he received a knock on the door. He opened the door to see one of the staff members holding a letter in her hand. "Francis Bonnefoy?" She asked, "we received a letter with your name on it." Whether said, quickly handing the letter over to Francis, whom looked at the letter questioningly.

He opened the letter and sat on his bed, reading it precisely.

Francis,

There has been a change in plans, when Ludwig arrives, you must enroll him in a boarding school. I have been made aware that your business is failing and believe that he would have a better chance if he were to be put in a school immediately. Please call me if you have received this letter.

-Matthias

***

Matthias didn't know Ludwig very well, but he did know Gilbert. He was one of Gilbert's close friends, along with Francis and Antonio. Matthias was the only person Gilbert could contact at the time, because Francis had moved to America and Antonio had gone missing. Gilbert had instructed Matthias to give Ludwig two tickets and to make sure Ludwig was safe arriving to America. Gilbert was completely aware as to what were to happen to him, he didn't want to have his little brother living in fear, wondering where his big brother left. Matthias still remembered the pained look on Gilbert's face the last time he had seen him. Gilbert knew that he wouldn't be leaving this prison ever again, not after what he did.