Chapter Seventeen

Francis Bonnefoy had left to America a month after Gilbert had been convicted. He took all of his fortune with him too, he wanted to get out of Europe because his business was failing.

But business was failing everywhere. They called it a massive financial crisis that had swept across the globe. They called it the depression.

Francis was a designer for men's clothing, he had designed some of the most popular fashion trends, he designed everything from shirts to shoes. He was in his study and feeling rather stressed about the big pile of papers on his desk, when his son had walked into the room.

"Matthieu? What do you need?" Francis asked in a concerning manner. It wasn't normal for him to interrupt him during his work.
"U-um, there's mail for you." Matthew said quietly.
Mattie placed an ivory envelope on his desk and then quietly left. Francis picked up the letter and opened it, it looked important.

To Francis Bonnefoy,

Gilbert has been convicted of a murder, I was the last person he contacted before he was executed. As you know, he had gotten into a bar fight and beat a man to death. The police shot Gilbert in the torso several times after beating him. I was told by Gilbert to give two tickets to America to Gilbert's younger brother, Ludwig Beilshmidt. There is a picture of him in the envelope. Ludwig and a possible second person will be scheduled to arrive in New York City on April 15, after a two week boat trip. Ludwig will have no shelter or anyone to take care of him once he arrives. He will need someone's help. Gilbert ordered me to contact you and ask if you could take care of Ludwig until he can take care of himself. I will send legal papers. I have also put my phone number in this envelope so you can call me for details.

-Matthias Køhler