I. Chapter 17 | Part 2 - Stone

Showering quickly, he left the basement and went up to his room on the third level and pulled a cotton T-shirt over his head and a pair of faded blue jeans on.

He glanced from his bed to the door, knowing that he wouldn't get any sleep even if he tried. Sighing, he walked out of his room and down the hallway to his office.

The shutters were drawn, so he flicked on the light switch before walking across the room to open them and let in the natural light. He turned on the laptop that sat on the desk and peered out the window to the woods that surrounded them as he waited for the machine to boot up.

He recalled a time when there were no computers, no cars, no lights, and no plumbing. They lived more like animals back then, in large dens and only shifted into their human forms when it was necessary. Now, he felt more man than beast and he wondered when the shift occurred. Was it the rise of the industrial revolution in America, or was it more recent than that?

Sighing, he ran his hand through his wet hair, thinking about the centuries past and everything he had witnessed. He knew if someone had asked him long ago before he met Adelaide that if he found his mate and she died, even after only being with her for a short period of time, he would never regret the time he had with her. He still didn't and he had about three hundred wonderful years with her.

Now, he was given a second chance with Aubree and he was willing to give it all away?

He glanced at the computer screen and scowled.

Someone, most likely Gwen, had changed the background to a picture of Aubree sitting in the café, drinking coffee as she peered down at her phone in her hand. Her long golden brown hair tumbled over her shoulder in soft wisps.

His eyes flitted to the cell phone next to the computer. He would be lying to himself if he said he didn't miss hearing her voice. Just thinking about it now made his chest tighten again.

Was she all right? What was she up to now?

Snatching up the cell phone, he dialed Hector's number, not willing to intrude on Aubree unless she was in danger. He waited until Hector picked up the phone after the fourth ring.

Surprise laced Hector's deep voice on the other end. "Do you make a habit of calling people this early on a Sunday morning?"

Stone glanced at the clock on the computer screen and scowled. "It's nine o'clock. Any other day and this would be considered regular business hours."

"Indeed. I was about to settle down with Rose for a nap."

Stone ran his fingers through his hair again and exhaled through his nose. He wasn't sure how to put his concern into words, but he knew he had to swallow his pride and come out with it.

"I'm worried about the girl. With the full moon tonight, I fear the vampires will be extra bold in their hunt."

"I'm sure they will be, which is all the more reason why we need to be prepared and well rested ourselves."

Stone squeezed his eyes shut, feeling another recurring twang of pain in his heart. What was Aubree up to now?

"Stone? I sense there is something else on your mind?" Hector said with slight intonation in his voice when Stone fell quiet for a moment.

"Your assumption is plausible."

"I know when I'm right."

Stone could envision Hector grinning in his mind and he rolled his eyes.

Goddess, he was going to tell him, wasn't he? Shit.

"You must be silent about this until I can pass it through the Council first," he told him.