II. Chapter 19 | Part 3 - Aubree

Song: "I Won't Give up" by Jason Mraz

---

Aubree heaved a shuddering breath as his words eased the fears that sprang up as soon as he mentioned the Spirit Walker. She couldn't help it. After everything they had been through, and everything he had been through before she was even born, her insecurities immediately jumped to conclusions.

It was then that she realized how much fear was actually harboring in her heart.

Stone made her feel things she'd never felt before. At times, she felt incredibly sexy, beautiful, and strong, while other times she felt weak, angry, and scared. She hadn't felt so vulnerable with her emotions with anyone like this.

He lifted her up and she wrapped her arms around his neck as he carried her into his room. He set her down on his bed and then crawled in next to her. He held her to his chest as she closed her eyes and listened to the steady rhythm of his heart as he stroked her hair.

"I will speak my mind now, so you know the truth," he said after a few minutes. "I was angry when I first found you. Angry, yes, that you were human and with another male, but I was also angry at the Goddess for creating you for me with Adelaide's soul. I believed it to be a cruel joke, a punishment on me for my past mistakes and for loving Adelaide more than Her.

"It's forbidden for lycans to have relations with humans, both intimate and sexual. We were created to protect the human world from the supernatural world. We are guardians, warriors, built to defend and destroy. Guardians can't have relations with those they are protecting. It's the Lycan Code.

"So, how could I accept you? It goes against everything I've known, everything I've been taught."

He tipped her head up with his finger under her chin and she raised her eyes up to meet his. "But I couldn't stay away. You know that. Even you tried to push me away. We both fought it, but the matebond is bound to bring soulmates together."

He lowered his gaze as he pressed his lips together. "And I feared that if I accepted you, I would be betraying Adelaide. But I think she wants me to be happy. Perhaps that is the only message I will receive when we go to see the Spirit Walker. If that is so, I will be happy with it."

Swallowing, she nodded in understanding. He needed that validation in order to move on.

"I can't replace her," she whispered.

"I don't want you to."

He closed his eyes as he pressed his lips to her forehead.

"You may share the same soul, but you are Aubree. Your mind is yours. Your body is yours. And while you share similar personality traits, which must be attached to the soul, you are still your own person." He twisted a lock of her hair around his finger as he pulled away with a look of deep thought in his eyes before they focused on her. "There's a strength in you that is uniquely yours. I can't pin it down, but it's a good strength. Good for me and the pack."

Aubree bit down on her still swollen lip. "So, I will make an okay luna even though I'm human?"

His brows furrowed. "Luna? Yes, but who taught you that word?"

"Gunner. He called me Luna. He said you're the alpha, and I'm your mate, which makes me the luna, the heart. You're the head, and he's the muscle."

A knowing smirk tugged on Stone's face. "He certainly is, but he's much more than that."

He gave his head a light shake in amusement. "Yes, the luna is the heart. Like the physical body needs a heart, so too does the pack." He clasped her hand in his and pressed her palm next to her head on his chest, where his heart thrummed against it. "As do I."

Her heart skipped a beat as she lifted her gaze to his. His thumb stroked over her hand as he held her gaze.

"It's healing because of you."

She swallowed as his eyes flicked down to her lips before he lowered his head. She met him halfway, feeling the tenderness as she returned his gentle caresses with her own. His hand squeezed hers on his chest as his lips held hers. Her heart swelled as a feeling of connectedness warmed her.

He pulled away and gazed into her eyes as he brushed a wisp of hair from her eyes. "You can get as angry with me as you want, but whatever you do, don't shut me out or leave me. Yell at me all you want because at least then, I can hear you. I can hear what chaos is inside you so I can deal with it. If I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong. I make mistakes too, and I'll try my best to correct them. I want you to be happy, and I need you by my side."

He ran his rough knuckles across her cheek. "Can you do that for me? Because when you're not yourself, it makes us all nervous."

"You mean, like this past week because of my period?"

He nodded.

She frowned. "But I thought it was my smell bothering all of you?"

"Partially, but don't worry about it. It's not the worst smell in the world," he said. "Burning vampire flesh is the worst and we still put up with it because we have to. It's the only way to ensure their destruction."

There was a chiming somewhere, and Stone pulled away with a groan. "I'm not answering that."

Aubree raised an eyebrow as her lips quirked up. "What if it's important?"

He pulled himself up onto his elbows so that he was leaning over her. "You're important."

A snort sputtered out from her lips. She couldn't help it. She could feel it bubbling up and she pressed her lips together, but it came out anyway. Stone stared at her as she chortled.

"Seriously? That's so cheesy!"

He rolled the word around his mouth thoughtfully. "Cheesy. Cheesy. Is that bad?"

----

Dedicated to nardia_85 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2016*