II. Chapter 33 | Part 2 - Stone

Music: "Make it Hurt" by Epic Score

----

Aubree crossed her arms, and Stone knew that she was refusing to accept the truth. Not that he could blame her. The truth was hard.

There was nothing he could do to change the fact that Dan was now a vampire, and he was damned if he cared whether Dan lived or not.

But Aubree cared. Aubree cared, and it pissed him off.

It was more than simple jealousy. It was the fact that it was hurting Aubree. It was hard enough on Aubree to leave Dan, but to have him become a vampire too? It made Stone's blood boil.

Maybe if he did kill Dan, it would put him out of his misery and Aubree could move on?

He rolled his eyes, reminding himself that Aubree would never forgive him if he did.

She wouldn't see it as putting Dan out of his misery. She'd see it as murder.

Hostile silence followed them through the countryside until Stone turned into a wooded area.

"He did it to save me, you know." Aubree broke the silence, staring out the window and chewing on her bottom lip. "He believed that I was still in love with him, but that the matebond forced me to choose you. Carina convinced him that he could free me by turning me into a vampire like them."

"Because they have no soul," he stated.

Without a soul, a vampire was just a body—a bloodthirsty, murderous, life-force sucking shell of a creature.

She closed her eyes and hung her head. "I figured that. How else could the bond be broken?"

"Death," Stone replied, "and I'm not allowing either of those to happen to you soon."

As the car cleared the trees that surrounded the pack house, Aubree's scent shifted with a sudden acceleration of her heart rate.

This didn't bode well.

"What would you do if Dan turned me into a vampire?" she asked in a small voice.

His hands tightened around the steering wheel as his jaw clenched. "You don't want to know."

"You'd kill him, wouldn't you?"

"In a heartbeat."

She swallowed. "What about me?"

"What about you?"

"I'd be a vampire. Would you kill me too?"

A growl jumped up his throat as he slammed his foot on the breaks. The car jolted to a stop before he shifted it into park and turned to her with a snarl.

"What do you think? Do you think I could do it? Do you think I could look you in the eye as I wrapped my fingers around your neck before tearing you limb from fucking limb?"

Her heart hammered in her chest as she stared back at him with wide eyes.

Clamping his eyes shut, he pulled away as he tried to push out the mental image he'd created of her blood-red eyes staring back at him instead of her beautiful hazel ones. He brushed back the loose strands of hair that strayed from his ponytail with the memory of Aubree gazing up at him, the sensation of her fingers tangling into his hair as she pulled his lips down to hers. The heat of her touch, the drumming of her heartbeat, the intensely strong, undeniable connection he felt with her, and only her since Adelaide's murder—would be gone. Her touch would be cold, her chest mute, and her soul lost.

She would become another one of those life-sucking leeches that he was bound by duty to destroy.

But how could he, knowing that he once held that body to his heart?