II. Chapter 26 | Part 1 - Aubree

"Gunner suggested I court you like a human, as opposed to a lycan," Stone said as they drove into the twin cities the next evening after everyone had left for the nightly hunt.

Aubree wrinkled her nose. "How would it be any different? What, did you guys frolic in meadows or something?"

She pictured a pair of hulking half-wolf, half-human like beasts running and jumping around each other in a field of wildflowers with butterflies flitting about and birds singing in the nearby trees under a clear blue sky, and creepy looking grins pulling back their lips to expose their sharp teeth while their tongues lolled out of the corner of their muzzles.

The thought was almost comical.

The look on his face made her snort before bursting out in laughter. "Oh my god, you didn't!"

A rosy hue shaded his cheeks as he turned his eyes back on the road. "Why is it so funny?"

She giggled helplessly at him some more as the forest drew away and open fields greeted them. A few minutes later, they pulled into the parking lot of a post office and climbed out. She followed him inside, her eyes surveying the small shop as he went ahead to collect his mail. It had a real small town feel with the adjoined drug store and gift shop.

Stone joined her at the birthday card section, a handful of envelopes with him.

She looked up at him. "Ready?"

He nodded.

Her eyes swept over one of the cards on the shelf as she turned toward the door.

"When's your birthday?"

He shrugged.

Frowning, she furrowed her brows. "You don't know?"

"It was in the thirteenth century. In the summer, I believe. That's all I know."

"Don't you guys celebrate birthdays?"

He shook his head. "No. We did with the pups. But..." he hesitated, "we stopped a few years after Adelaide and Arthur's deaths. Guinevere and Gawain said it wasn't the same without them."

Silence followed them as they left the store and returned to the car before Aubree remembered what Gwen told her a few weeks back. "Was it because you blew up Gwen's cake?"

He stared at her for a second as she buckled her seatbelt before he blinked and a small smile crept on his face. "She told you about that?"

Aubree nodded, grinning. "That was before I found out you were her father."

He shook his head as he turned his attention to the mail in his hands and began sifting through the bills. "It was a wood-burning stove. It made such a mess."

Chuckling, she watched as he paused on a small square envelope with her name on it and an identical one with his.

"What's that?" she asked.

His forehead creased as he turned the envelope over, but there was no return address. He sniffed it before curiosity twisted the corner of his lips. "I think it's our response from the elf."

It took her a second before the little wooden door of the elf house at the base of the tree popped in her head and excitement filled her. "Let me see."

He handed her the two little envelopes before tossing the rest in the glove compartment over her legs. As he leaned back in his seat, he rested his hand on her thigh, making her rake her teeth over her bottom lip as delight sparked under his touch. The last time he touched her like that was before he entered her with his fingers.