II. Chapter 11 | Part 1 - Aubree

Stone asked Aubree to change before they headed out. Even though she had initially put the yellow sundress on for him, thinking he'd like her in it, she suspected his reasons why. However, given the subtle blush in his cheeks when he asked her to go on a date with him, she thought it would be fun to tease him first.

"Don't you like my dress?"

She peered up through lowered lashes as he rubbed the back of his neck. Cerulean blues drifted over her skin before dashing away. He swallowed, the hint of pink burning deeper into his face and neck.

"Your bruises..."

Ha. He may have diverted the attention to the bruises around her neck but his body language hinted that he liked very much what he saw. Smirking to herself, she agreed to change and went back upstairs.

It had been a little over a week since she first got those bruises. They had turned from purplish-blue to green and now they were yellow. While they looked much better than they had a few days ago, self-consciousness continued its nibbling assault in public.

Still wanting to look nice for their date, she put on a high-collared, sleeveless white top with navy blue thread stitched along the seams and a pair of dark wash blue jeans. She kept her hair in the braid and outlined her eyelids with a dark brown, almost black, eyeliner. She dabbed on some dusty rose eyeshadow with her fingertips and a soft pink lip gloss that made her lips look naturally a shade darker.

She was sure that Stone wouldn't care if she even put makeup on but she wanted to look a little nicer for their date.

When she was done, she grabbed her purse and clay-gray faux leather jacket and hurried downstairs.

Stone was nowhere to be found.

The revving of a motorcycle's engine called her to look outside.

Sure enough, he was out there with his black leather jacket on, a helmet under one arm, and another one—a hot pink one—resting on the back seat of the bike.

After slipping on her black flats, she stepped outside and walked up to Stone sitting on the bike as she raked her teeth over her bottom lip. Her eyes swept over the sleek black machine again before meeting his gaze. "We're taking the motorcycle?"

He grinned as he put his helmet on, the visor open. "Yes."

"Why?"

He reached for the pink one behind him and set it on her head. "Because I like the feel of your arms around me."

He snapped the visor shut on her, hiding her face from view as she grinned. Cheeky.

Her hesitation was gone as she climbed on behind him. "You did this on purpose, didn't you?"

"Absolutely," he told her over his shoulder before he snapped his visor down.

He revved the engine, making her arms squeeze tightly around his waist and earning a chuckle from him before they pulled out.

The narrow lane from the house wound through the forest and out onto a gravel road for a mile before they turned onto a quiet paved road. Sunlight flickered through the canopy of leaves overhead, the light dancing in her eyes before the road curved and the morning light was beside her.

She rested her head against his back as they flew through the forest before the land opened up to fields of sprouting grains. The sun shone on her right as they made their way north and into the city limits of the metropolis.

Stone avoided the major highways, much to Aubree's relief. The lack of traffic enabled her to relax and take in her surroundings.

When they drove into Edina, just west of Minneapolis, and stopped at the first red light, Aubree asked, "So, where are we going?"