I. Chapter 11 | Part 1 - Aubree

Aubree sighed with relief when the clock on her computer finally showed four-thirty. Quitting time, she hummed to herself as her fingers clicked away at her keyboard to finish the section she had been working on before closing the file and shutting the machine down.

As she pushed away from her desk on her sleek black leather chair, Leslie, her neighboring coworker and guide for the week, popped her head over the wall of her cubicle.

"So? How'd it go today?"

Aubree shrugged but gave her a small, confident smile. "So far, so good."

"That's good. You'll have everything down in no time," she said before she disappeared behind the wall.

A minute later, she was walking up behind Aubree with her purse hanging on her shoulder and her car keys in hand. Brushing her pin-straight warm brown hair streaked with red and gold highlights over her shoulder, the thirty-year-old flashed Aubree a genuine, award-winning smile.

"The first day is always the hardest, but I hope you feel right at home soon," she said.

"I'm sure I will," Aubree responded.

Straightening her blouse under her new black blazer, she got to her feet and pushed her chair in. Pulling her purse over her shoulder, she followed Leslie down the hallway of cubicles to the elevators. A small gathering of employees was already accumulating as they waited for one of the four elevators to come and take them down from the tenth floor.

Leslie chatted away with her as they waited. Silence fell when they all crammed into an elevator.

While Aubree got off at the ground floor, Leslie continued down to the underground parking garage.

Smiling at the receptionist at the front desk, Aubree gave her a small wave as she walked to the front glass doors, her three-inch heels clicking lightly on the marble floor. The lobby was a wide open space with minimal, yet modern, furnishings in neutral tones of beiges and warm mahogany browns, while the building itself was constructed of glass and steel frames. Aubree could see everything outside in the busy downtown streets as she walked across the lobby. Cars lined the street outside, waiting for the light to change from red to green.

All she had to do was walk out the front doors, turn left, go around the corner of the building, and wait for her bus.

She was fine taking the bus. It only took half an hour, maybe ten or fifteen minutes longer than if she had driven her own car, but being in an office downtown meant limited parking spaces for employees. She'd have to wait a bit before a space became available for her. Until then, she had to take the bus.

As soon as she stepped outside though, she felt that strange sensation that she hadn't felt in a week.

Her head whipped around and her eyes widened when she saw Stone sitting there on a motorcycle, leaning forward with his elbows on the handlebars, watching her. He looked like a model right out of a magazine.

He was dressed in jeans and a leather jacket, his blond hair falling down and brushing against his broad shoulders. Faint stubble lightly shadowed his jawline as his piercing blue eyes locked onto hers.

Freezing in her tracks, she stared back at him as her heart rate spiked.

Why was he here? Was he stalking her again, or did something happen?

Oh my god, what if something happened to Gwen? That thought drove her forward, her heels clacking away on the pavement as she jogged up to him.

Leaning back in his seat on the motorcycle, his eyebrows arched up at her quick approach.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, her eyes searching his deep cool blues for any sign or trace that something was wrong.