II. Chapter 14 | Part 1 - Aubree

Something happened when Stone jumped in that pond of murky water. He seemed different when he climbed out. Aubree didn't know what torrent of thoughts whirled through his mind, and despite the neutral expression on his face, she could feel the conflict within him whenever she caught his eye. It was as if he wanted to draw her closer to him but instead pushed her away.

After he pulled the clean shirt and leather jacket on, he suggested they grab something from the snack bar.

Even though it wasn't yet lunchtime, Aubree had no appetite. His mood made her nervous, and as they walked past two more smaller ponds through the bird sanctuary to the other side, she twisted her fingers together while he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

They walked in silence and she couldn't help but remember the look of his bare back. How the muscles rippled as he moved, and the scars—the endless sea of scars etched across—made her hold her breath. Especially the two lines that moved diagonally across his back, from his right shoulder down to the bottom of his left ribcage and an identical one going down his left shoulder, forming a large, thick X. Even if he did have fast healing capabilities, that one looked like it must have been excruciating.

She wanted to ask about it but decided against it. He was already upset about something. She didn't want to press him further.

They arrived at the Bread and Pickle next to the bandshell with the lake behind it. Picnic tables were scattered about in front of the concession stand with a dock behind it along the lake. It reminded her of a miniature castle with its rounded tower corners complete with tall pointed roofs. Coupled with a similarly designed bandshell and tree-lined lake, everything had kind of a magical, fairy tale atmosphere.

 Coupled with a similarly designed bandshell and tree-lined lake, everything had kind of a magical, fairy tale atmosphere

There was an order window next to a pick-up window and an entryway to the public washrooms. Above the order window was a large menu displaying the selection of food and drink items.

"Are you okay?" The silence and tension gnawed away at her as she twisted the hem of her blouse between her fingers.

"Yeah," he mumbled as his eyes scanned over the menu.

She looked down at her fingers entwined in her shirt. "I'm not really hungry right now."

"How about ice cream? Or something to drink? They have lemonade."

"Okay," she replied as she lifted her gaze to the menu board overhead.

He sighed and rubbed his face. "I'm sorry about all this. I ruined everything."

She interrupted him with a gasp as she tugged on the sleeve of his jacket, her eyes glued to the menu as her lips pulled up in a big smile. "I want a tree hugger!"

She looked up to see him gaping at her.

"A what?"

"A tree hugger!" She pointed to the espresso section on the menu board in front of them. "It's an iced soy latte with maple syrup. I love maple syrup."