Chapter 22

The next hour was excruciatingly boring. Missie would not speak to Thomas. She went to face the wall and vowed to ignore him. If she didn't entertain his assumptions then she wouldn't need to lie to him. Because that's what they were. Assumptions. There was no way that Thomas could possibly know about her and Newt's 'Forbidden Relationship'... Was there?
Even if he... No. He couldn't.
So for an hour, after Thomas's feeble attempts at inquiring, they sat in silence.
Finally, Missie couldn't help it. "What gave it away?" She asked softly. She turned to see Thomas grinning at her, she rolled her eyes at him. "I knew you couldn't keep from me forever." He scooted closer to her and bumped her shoulder with his. "I pay attention. And its kind of the way you look at him. Like...like he's yours, ya know?" Missie shook her head.
"I never...noticed."
"Also, you guys probably never noticed this, but you have this thing...it's like... magnetic, like you're drawn to each other. It's strange..."
He looked at Missie carefully. "But it makes you happy."
Missie nodded even though it wasn't a question.
"You know, Thomas. I kind of like you. You're smart. And you've got charisma. If we ever get out of here, you could go somewhere in life."
Thomas chuckled. "Same to you, Arty."
"Arty? No. Can...no. Can we not do that?" Missie cringed at the horrid nickname.
"Thanks to that amazing reaction. I'm gonna call you Arty from now."
"Then I won't respond to that horrid name."
"Sure you will, Arty"
Artemis remained silent.
"Arty..." Thomas poked her arm.
"Arty..." he bumped her shoulder.
"Art-"
"Oh my gods, someone get me out of here."
The response came from the small barred window.
"I can't do that. But I can feed you."
"Chuck!" Missie stood up off the concrete floor and went to the window. Thomas followed.
Chuck handed them some chicken and water, Missie shoved it down her throat.
Probably should have had breakfast. she thought.
"So, you guys nervous about the maze tomorrow?" He asked.
Missie shrugged.
"You really think you'll find a way out?"
Missie and Thomas shared a look.
"We'll do everything we can. We won't rest until we do" Thomas said, Missie nodded. "Yeah..." Chuck said. And then, "Do you think I have a mom? I mean, of course I have a mom, but...do you think she's alright? Do you think she misses me?"
"We wouldn't know Chuck, but wherever she is, if she's sane, she definitely misses you." Artemis told the boy.
"Yeah," Thomas added, "I bet she's crying. Snotty nosed, puffy eyed- the real deal."
Chuck sniffed.
"And you know what, Chuck?" Thomas asked, "I'm going to make sure you get back to your mother. I swear on it. Even if I die trying, you will get back to your mom. I swear on our lives."
"Our?" Chuck asked.
"Mine and his"Missie said.
"Oh," Chuck said, "I'd better get back." He took Thomas and Missie's cups and bones, smiled at them, then left.
"I mean it, you know?" Thomas said after Chuck was gone.
"I know," Missie patted his shoulder, "me too."
Thomas sat back down, "So are you and Newt-"
"Yes. Sort of. Its a secret forbidden relationship sort of thing?" She felt a bit weird telling this to Thomas.
Thomas narrowed his eyes, "Alright..." He said slowly.
"Thomas how much more time do we have in here?"
"It was just lunch so...a lot?"
Missie sighed. It was going to be a long day.
**********

It was -to their surprise- Alby who came to get them, a couple of hours after sundown.
"Have a good rest, shuckfaces?" He grinned at them.
Missies leg was cramping because about an hour ago, Thomas banned her from pacing. He said it put him on edge.
Thomas helped her up and the two of them exited the dingy little Slammer.
"I wouldn't lose any sleep over it if I didn't see that place again" Missie declared.
Thomas hummed in agreement.
"Yeah, well," Alby locked the door after they'd gotten out. "Tomorrow's where the trouble's at."
Missie didn't mind it. The prospect of doing anything at all beat sitting in the Slammer, even if the something was highly dangerous and downright exhausting.
Frypan had left their dinner in the kitchen along with a note that told them that there was desert in the cupboard.
The roast beef was so good that Missie made a note to compliment Frypan in the morning.
After dinner Alby told them to get all the rest they could.
Missie bid Thomas goodnight and retired to her tent.
Tomorrow hanging over her with a promise of fulfilment and hope.
She couldn't wait.