Chapter 23

Hello you beautiful shanks! Please enjoy. Your comments make me smile!! Artemis...Missie...Missie... SHUCK, MISSIE WAKE UP." Artemis shot up, her torso connecting roughly with Minho.
"Minho what- what the..."
"It's dawn." Minho stated. He was crouched low in the tent.
"It is." Missie replied.
"Time to get to training" Minho said. Missie's face brightened. "Don't look so happy, shank." Minho said, turning to exit the tent "You ain't gonna like it much when you're out there."
Missie followed him out and found Thomas there looking every bit excited as she felt.
Minho led them to an underground room with a heavy lock on it. He held up the key and said, "you gotta be pretty darn special to get one of these."
"So why do you have one?" Missie asked, earning her a glare from Minho.
He unlocked the door revealing a nicely stocked weapons room. Missie ignored the other weapons and zeroed on on the archery section.
"Hell yeah," Missie murmured under her breath before running her hand over one long wooden bow.
"Missie, you can daydream about murdering shanks a bit later, come and get your kicks."
Missie walked over to where Minho and Thomas were. "What size are you shanks?"
Missie checked the shoe she was wearing.
"Six." She told Minho.
"Eleven." Thomas said.
After a remark on Thomas's shoe size, Minho handed them their shoes. He then handed Thomas a pair of shiny underwear. "Runnie-undies." He explained, "keeps your-"
"Oh my gosh. No!" Missie yelled, Thomas andMinho chuckled, then Minho handed her a sports bra with extra reinforcements. "I think this is yours."
Missie took it and raised a brow, "My size."
"Big," Minho mumbled earning him a slap upside the head.
"The Creators send supplies to help us. We just gotta ask." Missie was surprised to hear this.
"And yes we did try a T.V."
"Did you ever try asking for a random piece of metal or screw each week and eventually putting together a bulldozer and dozing your way out of here?" Missie wondered.
Thomas and Minho stared at her as if she'd just suggested and inter-glade polygamy.
"What?" She asked, raising her brows.
"Missie do you know how long that'd take?" Minho asked.
Missie shrugged, "Been here two years. It could work...if you knew how to assemble a dozer."
Minho shook his head and shoved her towards the weapons.
"How about you do something you're good at. Ideas obviously isn't it."
Missie punched his shoulder and headed towards the weapons.
"You don't need much, Thomas get a knife. Missie you can get whatever the hell feels good."
Artemis took a knife and a chain.
"No bow?" Thomas asked.
"I'll stick with mine. It's better that way."
Minho handed them each a backpack.
They went to the kitchen where Frypan packed them some lunch.
"Frypan, by the way, last night's dinner was great." Thomas and Missie said together, before glaring at each other accusingly.
Frypan shrugged and told them, "Anytime."
When they were eating breakfast Newt dropped by to wish them luck.
"Hope you shanks are in for a Minho style mauling."
Missie scoffed, "I don't get mauled."

After that Minho took them to the Map room. As he unlocked it, Missie asked, "You need to be stu-special for those, too?" She smiled sweetly at him.
"Matter of fact, you do," Minho replied, "you gotta be extra special for these ones."
Artemis rolled her eyes at him. They entered a room that smelled of copper.
"Thomas, you gonna need to listen to this. Missie, it's not too important for you to know this but you'd best listen just in case."
Minho showed Thomas some maps of different sections of the maze (there were eight in total.) Missie could see why she wouldn't need this too badly. Her job didn't entail her to scale a maze alone.
Once Thomas had grasped the concept of the maps and Missie had retrieved her trusty bow they finally went to the maze doors. "Stay close and keep up" Minho said before setting out at a steady jog.

************
Missie was out of breath. She was aware that she was fit and in shape but it still didn't mean she was ready for the maze. She was relieved when Minho called for a lunch break. They sat against the wall and ate their sandwiches and veggies. She took Thomas's hand, which he'd cut whilst trying to cut a piece of ivy from the wall which was part of Minho's Hansel and Gretel Breadcrumbs routine. She pulled antiseptic wipes and a bandage roll from her backpack.
She dabbed at Thomas's cut and patched it up.
"There. Good as new, shuck-face."
Her eyes fell on a metal slab on the wall that read: WORLD IN CATASTROPHE KILLZONE EXPERIMENT DEPARTMENT.
"What's that?" Thomas asked, Minho shrugged. "Dunno. They're all over the place."
******
They returned to the Glade just before sundown, Missie's head was aching. She skipped dinner and went to change out of her sweat soaked clothes. She rubbed her head and went to the med-room, she found Jeff feeding the girl soup and greeted him.
"My head hurts. Jeff."
"Take some of the herbs." Jeff suggested. Missie nodded and did as he said. After that she went to her tent and began to drift off as soon as her head hit the pillow.
She was awakened by the excruciating pain of some cruel person cracking her skull open with a hammer and a crane and stabbing at her brain with the sharpest objects. All the while a sweet voice was telling her about a triggered ending, while another broken voice was yelling at her to prepare.