14. What the hell aren't you telling us

Thirteen's POV

I lay my head back against the wall and close my eyes. My fingers running through the ends of my hair. I'm at a loss. I have no phone so I can't call anyone, and I have no way out.

I wipe the sweat from my head and neck, my fingers brush against the golden chain around my neck and tucked into my shirt. I pull it out and stare at the ring on the end.

His words echo in my head, "Promise me that no matter what happens, you won't give up."

Flashback

"I have something for you." He says, that mischievous glint never leaving his eyes.

"Am I going to like this something or are you going to get punched in the face?" I ask with a raised eyebrow. He scowls at me, his emerald green eyes narrowing at me.

"Why do I date you?"

"I was wondering the exact same thing."

He pats the spot in the grass next to him waiting for me to take a seat. I sit. He holds out a little black box, I look up at him.

"Are you proposing? Cause the answer is no." he gives me the most unimpressed look a human can give.

"Just open it." I slowly remove the lid and pull out something wrapped in tissue paper. I unwrap the paper and see a gold chain with a silver ring on the end. It's a just a plain simple band with two words carved into it in cursive, 'I Promise'.

"It's beautiful," I whisper. "Why'd you get this for me?"

"It's a promise ring, and my way of saying that if you ever need me, I'll always be there." He says quietly, his eyes never leaving mine. "And, I want you to promise me something," I glance up from the ring to look at him, "I want you to promise me that no matter what happens, you won't give up, you'll keep fighting for yourself and for anyone else you come across in life, and most importantly...you won't die."

I just nod my head quietly, not making a sound as I stare at the ring.

"You have to put it on now." He says.

"No I don't"

"Must you always make everything so difficult? I mean come on I'm already wearing mine." He pulls the exact same necklace out of his shirt, only the colors are reversed. His is a gold ring with a silver band.

"Yours says the same thing?" I question softly.

"Nope he pops the 'p' "Mine says 'Forever'"

"I Promise Forever," I whisper and he smiles back at me.

End of Flashback

I stare at the two words carved into the ring before tucking it back into my shirt. My eyes dart all over the place trying to find a way out of this. My hands start working to remove the smaller pieces of concrete and metal, but it's no use, nothing budges, all I'm left with are scraped up and bloody hands.

"Lovely," I mutter. Unless I've got a crane I'm not getting out of here anytime soon.

Cody's POV

The ground shakes again as we all stare at the warehouse as it caves in on itself and collapses.

"That was the last one," I whisper, I just continue to stare as if Thirteen will suddenly come walking out of the destruction and make up some excuse as it why this is our fault. But she doesn't.

"I don't think she made it Cody," Chase says quietly. We all stand in silence.

"We better get word back to the Agency then," Jason says, interrupting our thoughts as he turns and heads towards the location of the car.