20. Are we allowed to kill civilians

Thirteen's POV

"Siblings?" He asks as we sit by the pond. Him keeping his distance since I kicked him...or rather, kneed him.

I shake my head. "None." I lie easily. But then again that is kinda the truth too, so...

"Really? Oh man, how I wish I didn't have any siblings."

"You have siblings?" I ask, playing dumb.

"One. A little brother. Though he seems to forget he's younger." He grumbles.

"Are you sure it's not just because you act younger." I tease him lightly. He playfully glares at me. He gets a faraway look in his eyes.

"No, he's just...an idiot."

"I'm pretty sure all siblings say that about each other." He rolls his eyes.

"Yeah well if you had any siblings you'd understand."

"I have a few cousins," I reply. "They're good enough." He laughs.

"Is that the family you're out here visiting?"

"Yeah."

"How long are you going to be out here?"

I shrug. "Few weeks, possibly a couple months." He nods.

A ringtone splits through the silence. I pull my phone from my back pocket. A familiar number flashes across the screen.

I told them to leave me alone.

"Speak of the devil," I mutter.

"Your cousin?"

"Yeah." I lie. "I'm so sorry but I have to take this."

He waves me off, "No it's fine." I stand and walk a short distance away so he can't hear as much of the conversation. I answer the call.

"I told you not to-" I'm cut off.

"Are we allowed to kill civilians?"

"What?"

"Are we allowed to-"

"I heard what you said, I'm just having a hard time believing that those words actually came out of your mouth." I hiss into the phone.

"Is that a yes?"

"What do you think Devin?"

"Sounds like a yes to me. Ok got to go, I got to find a bag to put the body in, bye!" He chirps.

"Devin wait-" The call is disconnected. I run a hand through my hair.

"Everything alright?" Zack asks, "You seem distressed." I turn to face him.

"Distressed doesn't even begin to cover it," I mutter to myself. "I'm so sorry but I have to go. Do you mind giving me a ride back to the café? My ride's there."

"Yeah sure let's go." He says quietly. We head back to his car, him leading the way. We make it to the café in ten minutes.

"Thanks," I say to him as I exit the car.

"No problem." I stand right outside the passenger side door, staring at him.

"What?" He questions.

"My book."

A sly smile spreads across his lips. "And I'd give that back because..." he trails off.

I lean towards him "Because a knee to your family jewels is not the worst I can do." He glares back at me before pulling the book from the side compartment and handing it to me.