40. I guess so

Cody's POV

"Thirteen!" I call out as I make my way up the stairs. I get no reply. "Thirteen!" I yell out again.

I sprint the rest of the way up the stairs as a feeling of dread seeps in. I push open the door to the room she was using. Her dress is laid out neatly across the bed, her heels on the floor in the corner, and the little jewelry she was using placed neatly on the dresser. But no Thirteen.

It's then I notice that the window is open. I walk over and stick my head out, looking down into the darkness of night below.

Where the hell is she?

I make my way out the room and back down the stairs. "Have any of you seen Thirteen?" I question as I enter the main hall.

"No," Chase replies. "Why, is something wrong?"

"I'm not sure yet." I pull my phone from my pocket and dial her number, the familiar robotic voice answers telling me to leave a message. I hang up and redial.

"What?!" Her voice sounds through the phone, her tone hostile and venomous as if she was expecting someone else to call.

"Thirteen?" I question, just to be sure it is, in fact, her, though I'd know her voice anywhere.

"Cody?" Her voice gets quieter, I hear her let out a string of curses under breath. "I got to go." She says simply.

"Wait. Where are you?" I ask, making my way to the front of the house as several black SUVs pull up and agents get out.

"Nowhere." She responds in a clipped tone. "Look, something came up, alright."

"No, not alright. Where are you?" I hear someone call her in the background.

"Give me a sec." She says to me. "I swear if you try to rush me one more time my dagger is going to be protruding from your skull!" She yells to whoever was calling her, her voice is muffled as if she tried to cover the mouthpiece. It's silent on her end.

"Sorry." She says simply. "Cody, I'm busy right now, I'll...I'll call you later ok?"

"What?" I question, trying to figure out what the hell is going on. "You haven't answered my question, where are you?" I ask again. It's silent on her end for a few agonizing seconds before she finally responds, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I got lost."

The line goes dead.

Thirteen's POV

I stare at the blank screen on my phone, wishing Cody would call back, but it doesn't happen. I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"We need to get going." He tells me simply, and I nod silently. I grab his hand on my shoulder and twist it back, satisfied with his yelp of pain.

"Don't ever touch me," I say simply and walk past him, getting into the passenger side. He gets into the driver's seat.

"Why? You let Cody touch you." He spits out Cody's name like it's poison.

I smile internally but don't dare do it in front him since he's never actually seen me smile.

"Jealous much?" I taunt, I see him glare at me from the corner of his eye as he starts the car. He's quiet so I decide to aggravate him further. "If you really gave a damn about me you wouldn't have cheated."

The car comes to a screeching halt and he turns in his seat to stare at me. I examine my nails as if they're the most interesting thing in the world.

"You're absolutely infuriating." He growls out after a moment, his hard gaze burning a hole in my head. I give him one of my cold emotionless glares back.