38. Choose wisely

Shout out to @TheMizer for the awesome cover

Thirteen's POV

I pretend to laugh at something Zack says, for the sake of keeping up the 'girlfriend' act. I swear I've gotten more death glares tonight than I've ever gotten in my entire career as an agent.

The blaring sound of my phone's ringtone sounds off and I pull it from my purse and glance at the number. I let out a string of silent curses under my breath.

I put my hand on Zack's arm, bringing his attention back to me. "Sorry, I have to take this," I tell him, not bothering to wait for a response.

I remove my earpiece and drop it in my purse, placing the phone up to my ear soon after.

"Hurry the hell up with what you want to say, you're interrupting government business." I hiss into the phone.

"You know, most people answer the phone with a 'Hello how are you doing'." He grumbles.

"Cut the crap and get to it or I'll find some way to have you arrested."

"I'd love to see you try."

"Is that a dare?" I question harshly, I hear his resigned sigh.

"The meeting's tonight, midnight." He says. "I'll text you the address."

"Tonight is not going to work out for me."

"You said you'd be there and she's expecting you to show up."

"Or what she'll fire me? I'm her best asset and she knows it."

"Tonight. Midnight."

"Fine, but no promises I'll be there on time" I pause. "In fact, I think I'm going to be at least an hour late." I hang up the phone before he can protest.

I run my fingers through the ends of hair and begin making my way back towards Zack.

"Where'd your father go?" I ask him.

"No idea. Likely he won't show his face till later or not at all." He responds. "But he's still here, I just don't know where. More than likely one of the back rooms doing something illegal."

"Of course," I mutter. "Any idea how to get him out here and clear the room?"

He smiles deviously and looks at something behind me, I snap my fingers in front of his face getting him to focus. "Actually yes I do. We start a fight." He says simply.

"And how do you propose we do that?" I question. "I can't just go around punching people to start a fight that'd be suspicious."

He grins even wider if possible, and holds his hands up in mock surrender, still not looking at me.

"Oh, I have a way." He replies cryptically. "And it wouldn't work if you were the one who started the fight. I'd have to be in the fight for him to even remotely care...and I'd have to be losing."

"So I need to kick your ass?"

"You'd blow your cover. There's a simpler way." He still stares over my shoulder and I finally turn to see what has got him so distracted. I make eye contact with Cody.

What the hell?

He leans down to whisper in my ear. "Trust me on this one, please?"

I shake my head in exasperation and rub my head with my fingers.

"Fine." I finally mutter. I watch as his smile gets a whole hell of a lot wider. I cross my arms over my chest in suspicion, narrowing my eyes at him.