Chapter 8: Obsidian

Chapter 8: Obsidian

So this is flying. I feel the rush of the cold air as I come near the canoe. I couldn't take my eyes away from it. Even blinking is a crime at this moment. Doubt starts to crawl over me as I eat the distance fast. I think I'm going to miss it. As doubt engulfs me, I started to panic. I almost accepted death until my hand touched the wood.

Touching the wood is like seeing light for the first time. I drank into it. It's like the brightest glimpse of hope I've ever had. I hang on to it for dear life. First, I got my four fingers grabbing on the edge of the canoe. It gave me a moment to be surprised at the vessel for it's not turning upside down despite of my weight. And I'm thankful of it. My right hand is already grabbing on its edge. And then my other hand. It took all of my strength just to pull my body up into the canoe. I gave couples of heavy breaths after my back touches the wooden floor of the vessel. I made it. I saved myself from falling into the water. But the smile that starts to grow on my face quickly faded. It's not yet done. And this time, I have to fall to the water with this vessel just to save myself again. How many times do I have to be a hero for myself? Probably, always.

Apparently, this canoe wasn't meant to be cut down. It should be lowered by the pirates from the deck. If I'm going to cut one of the ropes, I would just be hanging with the other side of the canoe touching the sea. I would fall from it. I guess I couldn't make it after all. But just before I could mourn because of defeat, the waves started to dance violently. They have gotten stronger, bigger and higher this time. It almost kissed the bottom of the hanging canoe. This brought more fear to my heart. The weather is fair with the sun still low in the east. I looked around to search for the cause of the sudden change of the sea and found the black and huge ship approaching our vessel so fast. I heard the pirates from the deck started to panic. Someone, probably the captain, ordered to change course. Everyone seemed to be shouting and screaming. My chest started to beat so fast signalling the incoming danger. I felt the ship moving slowly and it increases my fear as I found myself hanging between the vessel and the sea. What if I would be thrown away to the water? A loud crash cut all the thoughts of death in my mind. It shook the ship and startled the canoe I was in. Yes, I was almost thrown away to the water. Almost. I guess this is not yet my dying minute. Maybe an hour from now? I checked to see what created the loud sound and found the black ship ruining the other side of the vessel. Holy crap! If I happened to be on the other side, I would be dead and cold by now! I couldn't see what's happening on the deck but I could hear battle cries and clashing of steels and metals. When a bloody dead pirate fell in to the water, I panicked. I think the pirate ship is being hijacked and they're killing everyone aboard in it. A tear made a way down on my cheek as I watched dead people being thrown away to the water. I could see blood mixing the sea and corpses floating. I felt the canoe lowered as the ship started to go down. I wiped my tears and grabbed the rusty steel. I cut the ropes quickly. No matter how terrible the situation is, this is my only chance to escape. I have no time for guilt.

I was able to cut the first rope and I squeaked as the other side of the canoe fell on the water. The vessel is now filled with smoke. I climbed a little to the other side of the canoe to cut the other rope. The pirate ship is making its way down fast and I have to free this canoe quickly or else, I'll be pulled down to the sea with the vessel.

After making small cuts on my hand and fingers, I was able to cut the last rope. I held on to the wooden canoe as the sea swallowed the burning vessel. As the dark smoke cleared, I saw the floating bodies of pirates scattered around me. None of them was alive. It seemed that I'm the only one who survived. But my hope of escaping began crashing down as the smoke cleared completely. A dark figure of a ship started to form through the sea of smoke. There, standing tall in front of my canoe is a proud and dark gigantic ship looking down at me. Pirates, extremely dangerous and scary pirates, are giving me unpleasant recognition. I swallowed my fear and paddled using my hands away from them. I heard splashes of water as some of the pirates swam after me.

"Don't let the woman get away!" they shouted. My body is already trembling because of the danger coming after me. Am I not deserving of an easy death?

Some corpses are blocking my way of escape. Even in death, these pirates are still trying to stop me. I didn't even get far as I felt weight adding in the canoe. I glanced back and saw a pirate hauling himself up. I tried to push him away but he showed a long knife aiming at me.

"No! Please don't kill me! Please just let me go!" I pleaded crying. A pirate from the black ship throws a rope towards the man in my canoe. He grabbed it and I hugged my knees tightly as we were being pulled towards the dark ship. It was so immense it could probably carry hundreds of crews in it. But why would it take me? What do these pirates want from me?

Obsidian. I whispered the name of the black ship as ladder made with ropes appeared in front of my eyes. I was pushed and grabbed until I could finally set my feet on the wooden deck. My mind is refusing to understand the situation. It's like watching myself being captured again and this time, for no apparent reason.

"We finally have a seriously mouth-watering catch!" I heard a pirate said. I stepped back as I saw them sneering at me.

The tears are now uncontrollably falling on my face because of horror and frustration. There's no use in begging them for my freedom. These pirates wouldn't listen to my pleas.

"I think we should just leave her alone. She's a Jonah. She shouldn't be in our ship." I heard a pirate reasoned out. I glanced and saw a young man looking at me. I prayed silently for the pirates to listen to him.

"Oh, come on! Who knows when we're going to step on the land again? We could use a woman for a night? Or even just for today. We can throw her body after we're done with her." A short, bulky pirate suggested receiving whistles from the others. I bit my lower lip in frustration. The tall, muscled man behind me is silently listening to his comrades and watching me for any act of escaping. I have no chance anymore. These pirates are savages. They wouldn't think twice about killing a person.

"If that's the case, I would go first!" one shouted which started commotion and resentment among the others. Before I know it, the pirates are now exchanging punches. I don't know whose side they are fighting. Each one of them probably has their own side. The deck is now chaotic aside from the man who suggested leaving me alone and the tall guy behind me who remained silent despite of the situation.

Suddenly, everyone started to freeze like water caught in the winter as a loud booming voice filled the deck. "Am I missing a party?" A tall old man from the upper deck asked. Beside him is a familiar man whose face I haven't seen for a very long time. He has changed. If it wasn't for his face, I wouldn't even know him. He has changed a lot. I felt my tears welling in my eyes as he turned to my direction.

"Captain Drakon, The Skull, we have caught a big fish!" a pirate answered.