Chapter 27: The Invitation of Captain Rowaen

We were silent as Captain Drakon, Owain, the Skull and I sailed on the canoe back to the Obsidian. No one dared to speak and I could almost hear my heart beating nervously against my chest. I was afraid of what would happen next. Captain Drakon held out his hand to help me get on the deck when we reached the Obsidian. I muttered a 'thank you' and waited for Owain and the Skull. I saw Owain and Captain Drakon engaged in a silent argument with each other the moment the younger pirate stepped on the deck. I maintained a respectful distance from them and waited for the Skull. I was also wondering if I should just go straight to my cabin and lock myself, or stay and confront the consequence of my curiosity. I decided to do the last one.

"Skull-–" I started when he finally stepped on the deck. I wanted to ask him about the mermaid. I wanted to know why he didn't come and see me for the last few days. But I wasn't able to continue what I was saying because he was already lunging towards Owain and attacked him. A hard blow landed on Owain's jaw and he fell on the deck. The Skull was about to strike again but Captain Drakon immediately got him and pulled him back.

I saw Owain recover and he stood on his feet and glared at the Skull. He clenched his fists and marched towards the man who punched him. I ran to him and grabbed his arm. I knew my strength was nothing compared to the pirate, but I just had to try and stop him. However, Owain was fuming and consumed by his sudden anger. Before we realized what was happening, he was already pushing me away from him and I landed hard on the deck. The Skull squirmed against Captain Drakon until he finally escaped from him. Owain tried to strike against the Skull and he was able to hit his face but the Skull, who seemed to be not affected at all, countered him and gave out a blow. Owain fell again on the deck spitting blood due to his torn lips. The Skull grabbed him again by his neck.

"Why did you have to bring her there? You liked it, don't you? You want her dead so you brought her in there!" The Skull screamed with pure anger on his face.

Just a while ago, they were two arrows ready to attack the same enemy, and now, they were pointed against each other – ready to strike across each other's heart. Captain Drakon pulled the Skull by his arm until he finally let go of Owain.

Owain showed his bloody tooth and let out a sarcastic laugh. "Look at you. Talking like you don't kill her, too," he said.

There was a sudden change in the Skull's expression and I knew Owain's words affected him. I averted my eyes trying to avoid meeting his. I didn't know that it would be this awkward talking about my death. And as if to break everything, Captain Drakon stepped in the middle of them and said, "Enough with the two of you. Brawling doesn't help the situation we are in right now. You both brought the Obsidian in a dangerous spot."

I recoiled on where I stood as the captain scolded them. I knew I was at fault, too. I also put the Obsidian in danger. But what could I do about it? I couldn't just stay inside my cabin without a clue of what was happening around me.

"It is the first fucking mate's entire fault. If only he did what we agreed on doing and not bring her in the grand vessel then we wouldn't be facing this problem!" The Skull said.