Chapter 5: The Menace

SAUDADE

Chapter Five: The Menace

I can’t believe of what they’re saying. I can’t believe that I’m listening to this. They’re planning for my own wedding. How sweet was that? And could it be any sweeter to know that my groom will be the very handsome and well-mannered Lord Chester Weston of the west. Oh God! I’m cursed. I guess pirates really bring bad luck to people.

I want to voice out my opposition towards the matter but we’re in the middle of our dinner. And besides, my parents are happily participating in the conversation. I couldn’t ruin that and make a scene. I can just glare at Chester whenever he’s smirking on my direction. How could they match me with this man? Are they even aware of his hateful attitudes?

“Look at them. They can’t take their eyes off each other.” Lady Amanda said happily and I sighed in frustration. I secretly rolled my eyes at her when I’m sure no one was looking.

“My Primrose is always talking about how she wants to live in the Sea Port City. Perhaps her heart must have found a place here.” My mother added.

“These two’s marriage would strengthen the relationship not only of the East and West but the whole land.” My father said. I think he’s seeing this situation as political chance for empowering peace between the lands. He’s always considering the welfare of greater people.

“I have to agree with you on that. It must strengthen the unity of our people.” Lord Magnus said as he poured drinks on my father. The conversation goes on and just circles the topic around governing and marriage. When they came to the point of talking about dozen of children Chester and I are going to make, I decided that I couldn’t stand it.

I faked a cough on my wine and that made them turned into my direction. “Excuse me. I’ll be back in a sec.” I said and stood up. I heard them continued their conversation as I walk towards the door of the dining hall. I slipped into the kitchen carefully so no one could see me and then got out of the back door. I ran towards the stable where all the horses are. I found Argos and walked silently towards it.

“I could marry you instead, you know.” I said smiling at it. It made a sound. That you-are-crazy-Prim sound and I started giggling. I don’t know if he’s smart enough to understand me but probably he is.

I opened the fence and hopped on its back. Argos seemed to be ready for a night run. He’s as excited as I am. “Let’s hit the salty night air before this place makes us crazy!” It ran as I stomped my foot on its side. We took the way behind the mansion so that no one would see me. I headed towards the direction of the sea. This place is so beautiful if not for the Chester Monster existing in here. I was already near the shore when I heard hooves of horses approaching me. I looked back and recognized Tarnus from the distance. He’s not a threat and he’s not with the other guards. I decided to just wait for him.

I smiled at him as he reached my place. “You’ve missed me already?” I asked him. But he didn’t smile. He’s still wearing that serious and formal expression.

“I peeked at the dining hall and didn’t see you. I searched for you and found that Argos is missing. I figured you’d sneak out again.”

I frowned at him. “Saying you missed me is easier than stating how you found me. I didn’t even ask for it.” I told him.

“You shouldn’t stay away from the perimeter of our protection, my lady. This is not our land.” He stated and I looked back at him sadly.

“I don’t need a guard or your protection right now. I thought you came after me as a friend.” And that’s how I got him. His serious and formal expression softened and looked straight into my eyes.

“Something’s wrong, Prim? Did he hurt you?” He asked worried.

“No, no. I would never let him.” I assured him.

“Then what is it?” he asked. Worry is still in his eyes.

What’s worse than him hurting me? “They’re planning my wedding with Chester.” I said.

That left him stunned for few seconds. He’s just staring at me with mouth open. “Your father must have good reasons if he agreed with it. I will still protect you from that bastard.” He finally said with determination in his eyes.

“It will never be reasonable enough for me.” I said. I was a little bit disappointed with his response. I don’t know but I was expecting some irrational plan coming out of his mouth like kidnapping me and hiding on the North so I could escape my wedding. But he remained logical. Maybe being a hero is his priority.

“I can give up my position as the head of Security on the East land just to stay with you here and be your personal security. That way, I’ll be sure that you wouldn’t be hurt by him.” He said. His words are about security and safety but it lack hope for me. I couldn’t make myself happy of it.

“No,” I said with a little bitterness in my voice. I couldn’t just hide it. “Stay in the East Land. I understand your highest priority, Tarnus.” He has always wanted to be the protector and keeper of the East Land. And right now, no one could perform his position but himself.

“Prim, you don’t understand-“

“When are we leaving the West, Tarnus?” I asked formally.

“Perhaps tomorrow afternoon after they settled everything about the pirates.” That got us silent for few moments. I was just looking at the dark horizon of the sea while I could feel him staring at me. I had this thought in my mind that if I have to get married and I’m still not yet finding the right person for me, I would choose Tarnus. We’ve been friends since we’re kids and I never felt uncomfortable around him. Well, that idea would be possible if he hasn’t found the woman he would love yet. I’ve never heard him talking about a certain woman though. Probably, just like me, he hasn’t found the right one for him.

“If I’m going to choose between you and Chester Weston, I would choose you.” I said while turning to him. I think that got him completely surprised for he just stared at me blankly.

I suddenly felt my cheeks becoming warm as he stayed staring at me. “I mean, you are a better man than him. But I know it would be unfair to you. Choosing you just to escape the life that I’m bound to face? Yeah, that’s completely unfair and wrong.” I said smiling and trying to make the situation less serious.

I think it worked for he suddenly frowned at me. “What’s wrong with that, Prim?” he asked confused.

“We’re friends, Tarnus. I couldn’t just ruin your life like that. You have a very noble role in the East Land. I couldn’t just steal you from people.” I explained to him.

“You’re not stealing anything, Prim.” He said softly but I just laugh it off and turned my gaze back to the sea.

I think he’s still saying something but I didn’t get that fully for my attention was caught by the dark horizon. It wasn’t like that just awhile ago. Somehow, it became darker. Darker and yet I think I could see tiny shapes and figures. Or maybe, the sea is just playing with my eyes.

“Prim? Primrose?” I turned back to Tarnus and felt guilty for not listening to him.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. You were saying something?” I asked.

He shook his head. His expression is back to its seriousness and formality. “It’s getting late. Let’s go back.” He said and with one last look on the sea, I followed him.