Chapter 53: Limbo of the Lost

It was a dream. That was what I continuously whispered to myself as I lie comfortably on a soft mattress, with closed eyes and heavy body; I knew I just tired myself. But it was too comfortable and the atmosphere was too relaxed that I started to doubt that something was wrong. I opened my eyes expecting to see a familiar room only to be welcomed by a huge one, with decors that did not belong to any of the four castles. Panicking, I bolted up straight only to be confronted by dizziness and chill that penetrated my body to the bones. My body demanded for me to lie again and when I did, the door opened. I turned my head to see Cecilia walking towards me.

"What's happening?" I asked weakly in confusion. My head started to throb as I tried to stitch pieces of what happened only to find myself nowhere near an answer.

Cecilia helped me drink with a cup of water. It was only then that I realized how dry my lips are and hoarse my voice is. "You're burning with fever, my lady. If you want answers then you must regain your strength first."

"But – the wedding, the East Land... my mother," I started to protest but sleepiness was already getting to me like it was the only thing my body needed.

I didn't get an answer. I just closed my eyes but before sleep finally consumed me, someone entered the room and walked to my bed. I vaguely felt a hand brushed my hair away from my face. The person and Cecilia had a silent conversation and the only thing I heard was a familiar voice saying, "I'll never let anyone harm her again." And then darkness had finally taken over me.

I didn't know how long I passed out but during that time, I was sent into a land that was so familiar and yet, strange to me. It was a huge castle with walls decorated by diamonds. It was standing tall and proud on a cliff with gigantic waves dancing below preventing anyone who dared to reach it. Hundreds or probably thousands of armies in golden armour were posted on the castle grounds ready to defend the territory. Crossbows and canons were set promising rains of arrows and fire. An armoured man with a huge bow riding on a dark horse was positioned on its entrance and my heart started to beat faster as I realized that it was staring intently at me. I was mesmerized by the power of the entire view that I was seeing. I was captivated and my blood was enthralled to reach him, grabbed him like he was all mine. I was about to take a step towards him when all of a sudden, the man raised his bow and pointed his arrow at me. There was nothing I could do but to stare at his stormy grey eyes as he pulled on his weapon and let go of the arrow which was now flying towards my direction. It was an arrow that would pierce my heart – the sharpness that would conclude my death.

I startled awake from the dream and this time, I was completely aware of the unfamiliar room I was in. I sat on the bed and I realized that there was no more weight of sickness trapping my body on the soft mattress. A steaming soup, bread, and a glass of water were placed on the table beside me and my stomach rumbled as I smelled the delicious aroma coming from it. I immediately savoured it, not thinking of the poison someone might have put on it. I was starving and this food was the most important thing at the moment – never mind that I was kidnapped, or that I woke up in a stranger's room, or I still looked like a mess with my hair sticking in every places on my head. This place could be set on fire and I would still wake up screaming "food" at the top of my lungs.

When I emptied the tray, I could finally think clearly and assess my surroundings carefully. The room was definitely far from an ordinary one. The furniture in it were old-fashioned and yet, I could see from the designs that they were valuable – like they belong from a certain era. There was a huge window across the bed and I could only see the clear, blue sky from where I was lying. Concluding that the room was placed high in the building, I decided to leave the bed and padded to the window. I gasped when I saw the familiar view of a land and I paled when I realized where I was. It can't be happening! However, the more I try to deny what I was seeing, the more it felt real. I spun around when I heard footsteps behind the door and I stood there waiting for whoever was coming to the room. I sighed in relief when I saw Cecilia who casually walked towards me and touched my forehead looking for any sign of the fever.