Chapter 19: The Forsaken Land

I woke up to the sound of people cheering outside and the light of the rising sun on my face. I squinted to take a look at the unfamiliar room and remember the things that occurred last night. And that was when I remembered I was drunk – the hammering pain in my head was the evidence. The late night dinner with Captain Drakon played in my head like a sick, annoying theatrical performance I was doomed to watch. And when the memories from last night reached to the sight of an unfamiliar door and to madly kissing a man I wasn't sure if I just imagined almost caused me to break the window and throw myself out to the vastness of the ocean. And did I really say that it was the best ale I had ever tasted? God! If there was another death I would encounter aside from the violent hands of the pirates or unforgiving judgment of the sea, it would be this toe-curling, hair-pulling and teeth-gritting embarrassment.

I was startled when the door opened and when I saw the Skull coming in, I immediately slumped back to the bed and covered my face with the blanket. I couldn't face him like this – not when I acted like a harlot last night. And speaking of being a sexually aggressive drunkard, I checked my clothes if I was still wearing all of it or if there was any weird feeling in any parts of my body. Fortunately, aside from the shame that was pulling me deeper and deeper in the bed, I still felt normal – normal and embarrassed.

"I brought you breakfast and coffee. You'll need it for this day." The sound of his voice caused my cheeks to become even warmer. I personally didn't want to see my face at this moment.

"I – I'm not – h-hungry," I stuttered which added to the embarrassment I was enduring. It was probably better if I had my tongue cut out – it would be rightful punishment for doing shameful things last night.

But the growl in my stomach when I smelled the aroma of hot coffee betrayed me when he put the tray on the side table. Ugh! Being sober after drinking poison was both a blessing and a curse. I wished I could just pretend that I didn't know anything from last night.

"You are hungry." He said and pulled the blanket off me.

I was caught off-guard when I saw the sheet fly to the foot of the bed. I immediately put my hands to cover my face from him. I must pretend to not remember anything. I don't remember anything! Damn it! He'd probably forgotten to be a gentleman!

"Nothing happened last night. You don't have to sulk about it." He said in a serious tone which appeared to me as a slight insult. So for him, what happened last night was nothing. I completely remembered how we kissed each other last night and now, he was saying that it was just nothing?

"I am not sulking," I said and sat on the bed. I looked up at him and met his mesmerizing cold, gray eyes. How could he still manage to look handsome and annoying at the same time in front of me?

"You don't have to bring this. Erasmus will be willing to bring me breakfast," I said when I reached for the coffee on the table.

He crossed his arms in front of me as if I was a kid who needed a lecture because of a bad deed. I was too far away from my parents but it seemed that I would still be served sermon for breakfast.