Chapter 59: Before the War

Fanmade cover by Jeyne Riego Torrealba

Chester Weston, the young lord of the West Land, had never been a gentleman to me. He was always arrogant and sarcastic; only showing his hatred and annoyance towards me whenever I'm in West Land. Thus, it was hard for me to believe that he agreed to an arrange marriage with me. I thought that he only did it just to make me suffer.

But in the last few days before the day of our wedding, he showed me a side of him I didn't see before. He tried to prove that he could be a better man to be my husband. And I knew that there was a part of me that wanted to believe in him because everyone, even the ruthless young ruler of the West Land, is capable of change. And somehow, it made me consider a possible future with him.

However, before all of those possibilities happened, the most dangerous man in the pirate seas walked the land and crashed the wedding ceremony, stealing me from my ex-fiancé. And by then, I never felt so willing to be a victim of crime and treachery. But that was before I learned the truth behind our past; that was before the blood running in my veins turned into a fiery magma burning me from the inside and making me one of the evil sinners from a tragic history; that was before I decided to die and he came to save me; that was before I realized how much I love him despite of the complications the two of us would bring.

Right. That was before we received a letter from the ruthless young ruler of the West Land.

Threy maintained a blank expression after reading the message. I had no idea what was going on his mind. I remembered him playing with Lord Chester when we were young and he seemed to be happy during those times. Maybe that was before he learned about his Borgian blood with Lord Boris. Is he seeing his younger brother as an enemy? Is he even seeing Lord Chester as his brother still? More than five years had passed, what could have those days changed?

I didn't see him during dinner. And despite of Lord Boris' invitation to join their table with high-ranking allies and captains, I still decided to sit with the Obsidian pirates. I thought that it was the right time to introduce Dorothy and Aiden to the people who became close to my heart.

"I remember you. You're one of those gifted archers of the Pirate City, right?" Erasmus and Aiden became friends immediately. Maybe, it was because they were almost the same age.

"And you performed once on the stage of the grand vessel. That was a definitely cool rendition!" Aiden's eyes lighted up as he recognized Erasmus. They were both talented young boys, I couldn't wait to see them getting along and learning from each other.