Chapter 4: The Show

Chapter Four: The Show

We went to an open amphitheatre, one of the bigger function halls here in West. Crowds were already settled and expectantly seating on the benches surrounding a walled oval courtyard. I was escorted by Tarnus towards a raised platform where the Westons and my family— the Crimsons were sitting. This didn’t really seem to me like a public meeting and felt instead as if I should be expecting public entertainment. I wondered if we would be regaled with performances later.

I gave a smile to everyone on the platform—except for Chester Weston—as I went my way to my parents. Everyone who seemed to be someone in The West was present in this assembly. I took the seat next to my mother by the end of a long table laid full with sea food, fruits and wine. Tarnus stayed standing behind our high chairs. There was an air of excitement in the atmosphere—one that was palpable, it was hard to ignore.

I sat quietly as the adult were loudly engaged in a conversation about politics and how the family in the North should have been here and celebrating with us. The four leading families of the land had been ruling harmoniously for a long time and there was a certain friendship between all of us. But due to the freezing climate in the north, the North family couldn’t stay longer in warm weather.

The lively atmosphere of the surroundings continued until someone blew a loud horn. I was tempted to cover my ears but I restrained myself. The sound signalled silence and when it was finally quiet, Lord Magnus stood.

“We are so grateful for the presence of the respectful Crimson Family of the East today,” he prefaced. “This is a very important day for the western people. In this place, right at this moment, we’re going to decide the history.” It was easy to see that Lord Magnus was a charismatic leader. His booming voice carried across the amphitheatre and every one of the West people was transfixed on him.

“This is where we are going to start eliminating the very reason of the terror that destroys our seas and coastal livelihood. Today, we are a step closer to destroying the scum that are pirates!”

Everyone began cheering loudly from Lord Magnus’s declaration. But the same declaration made me frown. Taking down three men who were pirates was nowhere near destroying the whole of them.

For all we know, there were a hundred of strong pirate ships sailing on the sea. Not even one was sunken by the western soldiers. I glanced at my father and he gave me a restraining look. He knew what I was thinking. I have a feeling he agrees with me, no matter how pessimistic. Maybe he just didn’t like robbing Lord Magnus Weston’s hope.

As Lord Magnus finished his short but very lively and hopeful speech, women in alluring costumes started filling the oval and danced in the music of drums. I knew it! This would prolong the public meeting. How I wish I could go back to sleep. I just eyed the ladies boringly as the people sway with the music with them. I had to admit that the ladies in the west were naturally attractive and have great tanned bodies. This must be associated with them living near the sea.

It didn’t even surprise me that Chester Weston was suddenly out of his seat and in the middle of the ladies performing. He seemed to be enjoying the presence of the group. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes.

“I think he should dress like them if he’s going to be in the show,” I whispered to Tarnus but he kept his expression serious. Considering the status of his family in the eastern society, he should also be one of those men who enjoy celebrations and dances. But I think things were different for him. He had always preferred to live like a tough protective wall of the East land. He had also always told me that he got priorities. I wondered how important those were.

After a few minutes cheering and enduring Chester Weston’s flirting with the dancers, the performance finished. I eyed him incredulously as he took his seat again beside Lady Amanda Weston. He caught my eyes and smirked at me. He was so unbelievable.