Chapter 9: The Jonah of Obsidian

Soundtrack: Hello - Adele

It was like going six years back to the time when he decided to steal a girl's first kiss. I was so mad that I even asked my father to imprison him. However, my father was a lover of peace and he just wouldn't allow a stolen first kiss create a crack on the harmony of the four families. Ever since that day, I would unconsciously blush whenever I see him. Ofcourse, it would be a cue for him and his brother to make fun of me. They would start talking about me eating too many tomatoes. Then suddenly, my eyes would betray me by showing tears that signaled their winning.

It was like glancing back to yesterday's memories and we're both seeing a different image. It would have been one of my vivid brightest days. I wonder if he could still see colors through the darkness surrounding him now. I wished I could still be mad of him for stealing my first kiss. I wished my father chose to side his little daughter and put him behind bars. I wished I could still blush like a silly tomato whenever I see him. I wished I wasn't feeling this fear and uncertainty now. I wished the sprays of water brought by the dancing waves could brush the paleness of my face away. I wished he could steal another kiss.

"Threy Weston." I whispered in the air hoping that it would bring the words to him.

"Why would you bring a Jonah in my ship, you idiots! Throw her to the sea!" The angry old man who seemed to be the captain of the ship ordered furiously. Apparently, he wasn't happy about having a woman in his ship.

"Captain! Give us an hour and we'll give her to the sea as an offering." The short, bulky pirate insisted again. The captain stared at him and then glanced at the man on his side who's just watching everything like it was his favourite morning show.

"Lord Threy Weston! Please! I'm Prim! Don't you remember me? Please help me!" I begged loudly while fighting my captors off. There were only few days when I let myself beg desperately of something. This was probably one of my most casual days.

"Who is she talking about? The Skull?" the young man who first suggested leaving me alone, asked.

I tried to catch Threy's eyes hoping that somehow, he would consider me worthy of saving. And I did. But I wished I didn't. Looking in his eyes was like staring up at the cloudy night sky. I couldn't see anything but darkness. It was an eternal emptiness.

When I saw the captain still looking or probably waiting for his thoughts, my few little hopes started to die one by one. And when Threy turned his back and walked away, I decided to stop fighting.

I had no idea how an extreme sadness could feel but now, I understand. Humans could not be pensive forever. But they could probably feel the peak of extreme loneliness in just a second, a minute, a day, a week, a month, a year. They could not take sadness for a very long time because it would definitely kill them. And right now, I wished it would just kill me. I wished for this to be over. I saw the captain gave me a last scrutinizing look before walking away towards the direction Threy went to. I felt my tears falling as some of the pirates grabbed and dragged me towards I don't know where.

"Filthy pirates." The young man said as he stayed behind with the silent big guy who got me from the canoe. I didn't say anything. I couldn't say a word. Screaming at the top of my lungs would probably the best I could do in this pirate situation. But I felt hopeless and merciless inside. They weren't stabbing me but I could feel myself dying rapidly with every seconds. I wouldn't last an hour.

I felt my surrounding becoming darker as they dragged me inside the ship. We're turning away from the last morning light I would ever see. "This is the most wonderful red strands I've ever seen! I'll make sure to keep some for myself." Said a thin creepy pirate as he sniffed my hair. Before I could think more about it, I was pushed to the wooden floor so hard I must have broken some bones. I shut my eyes as I saw numbers of pirates began to surround me. I cowered at the corner of the gloomy room. What could have been worse than being humiliated by these criminals who just killed people few minutes ago? I wished the sea had swallowed me. I wished I still had the choice of death that was given by the sea.

All this time, I thought the sea itself was the most merciless creation this part of the world could ever had. I just couldn't imagine that a bunch of pirates could surpass that. I never thought that the sea could turn a great man into a cold pirate. He's the closest I've ever met.

"Come on, little shit! Show us what you got! Let us see what you showed to those rotten dead pirates outside!" It was the voice of the man who was continuously insisting about harming me. I didn't dare to look up. I just concentrated on staring at the floor. If I'm going to die in the most horrible way then I don't want to feel what they're going to do with me. If I'm going to die few minutes from now then I have to start getting rid of the possible hatred that would start to build up within me. I don't want to bring it in my death. And if it's going to be my last little moment, I prefer not remembering their faces even though theirs' would be the last one I'd get.

When someone grabbed the lacy edge of the night gown I've been wearing since last night, I left a small whimper. I wanted to fight. I wanted to scream, thrash around and cry until I couldn't recognize this place and any feeling anymore. But I couldn't. Why would there be things that I just couldn't do?

I looked up as I felt a warm, sticky liquid touching the bare skin of my legs. I was horrified to see a pirate running his tongue on my toes. And this time, I screamed so loud. This time, I thrashed my legs and arms so hard. They were laughing as I hit the face of my attacker. But instead of stopping them, they seemed to be challenged and excited with the fight I'm putting in.

"Please, don't! My family would pay you golds! Just bring me back home!" I screamed as I was defending myself.

Someone tried to pull me up by grabbing my hair. I thought it would leave my scalp because of the terrible pain. I cried in horror as the pirate showed a tiny sharp knife. I closed my eyes waiting for him to cut my hair or even my flesh. But it didn't come. Instead, he let go of my hair causing me to fall back on the wooden floor with a thud. I watched as he was being grabbed forcefully away from me. I couldn't see much of it because of the pirates that started to surround the scene and blocking my view. It sounds like some people are fighting. No, it's more like an attack. Someone attacked the man who attempted to cut my hair. I could hear his loud wailing and screaming because of agony. I just want it to stop. I just want everything to stop. I covered my ears and closed my eyes.

After few minutes, I felt my surrounding steadied. I put down my hands and found that the violent sound had stopped. It was quiet with some whispers floating in the air. When I opened my eyes, I saw a tall, dark figure walking towards me. I was wondering what he would bring this time. I braced myself for an incoming pain and closed my eyes again tightly. But no pain came. Instead, I felt myself being carried by a tough muscled arm. I opened my eyes and saw a familiar face of a completely stranger. What had happened to him? What made him change all this years? Tears began to wet my cheeks as he carried me out of that dark place with the pirates following us quietly. Once again, the morning light welcomed me with the warmth I needed.

"T-Threy. Lord T-Threy Weston." I called his name doubtfully. He looked down at me as if my lips had uttered an unknown name no one had heard for many years now.

"You do not belong to my world." He said and continued walking towards the edge of the deck.

65590�vw/FYW