Chapter 13: Borgian Island

The pirates became busier. The rain fell harder and the wind blew colder. I couldn't take my eyes off the island which was now appearing nearer and clearer. It was another threat for me that was coming more real.

When the ship reached the port, it made a loud deafening sound that signalled its arrival.

"We have to get everything we need from this island. Obsidian will leave tomorrow before the Sun rises," Erasmus said when the ship was properly anchored.

"But what do we need from this island?" I turned to look at it once again and saw a crowd of people walking and passing one another in a rhythm. It was the busiest place I'd ever seen. I was afraid that if I walked with them, I'd be lost.

"Stocks? Water? Your clothes? My brother? If there's anything you need, you'll find it in this island," he said.

My brows furrowed in confusion. "Your brother?" I asked.

His nose wrinkled in aversion and said, "The first mate. He has gone here ahead of us to prepare the supply and crude oil. And you wouldn't like him."

I wanted to ask him more about this brother because I was starting to get worried. Erasmus was a fine young man and I was sure that he wouldn't have an unreasonable dislike towards someone, especially his brother. But before I could even speak, he ran off towards the ladder made of rope, and climbed down with the other pirates. Talking about his brother seemed to have distracted him because he forgot to wait for me and accompany me in getting what I needed.

I saw Captain Drakon withdrew from the helm and walked back towards the captain's cabin. I was deciding between staying at the ship or experiencing what Borgian Island could offer me. There would be fewer pirates in the ship the whole day and maybe, I could walk around Obsidian safely. But Erasmus wouldn't be there and if things turned out bad, who would I call? Who would help me? No one. Everyone was trying to take advantage, including me.

But if I walked around Borgian Island, I might encounter a different kind of danger and who knew, maybe this time, I wouldn't be so lucky.

But then, maybe my luck had stretched longer and reached this island. Maybe I wouldn't run out of luck today. Maybe I would find something that would set me free. Maybe I would find something that would lead me back, at least, to the West Land.

I waited until no one was using the ladder to climb down. There were still pirates on the deck but they just watched me silently as I took my step. It seemed like the 'Skull's Protection' was working right now. I felt the sand on my feet and the cold sea water that reached up to my waist when I started walking towards the shore. Several small canoes were lined up, waiting for their fishermen to sail them. Would it bring me safely to the West Land if I used them? Probably not. The waves on the deep would just swallow us whole. I pushed aside the thought and headed to the tents that were located near the shore.

Borgian Island was not just crowded. It was absolutely chaotic. People and loud voices were everywhere, shouting products or goods they were selling. The island was for market and trading. It was like a stop-over for sailing ships. I was at the part of the market where meat was being sold. I could see fresh parts of hog, goat and cow on market tables. I suddenly felt the desire to have them on my meal today. The last time I had meat, I was in my homeland. The West Land served delicious seafood during our visit while the pirates seemed content to have bread and fish in every meal. If I was going to live with them that way, maybe I could just stay here in Borgian Island. There might be a good chance that I could eat meat here.