Chapter 11: Wrecked Heart

It was already night and only the light from the lamp could make me see through the darkness of my cabin. It was actually enough since the room was smaller than the ordinary ones I usually see. There's a single little window in the room that was the size of a book. I tried to open it and was welcomed by the cool breeze coming from the outside. The sea was calm but there were no stars to light up the night. I could also hear some screams or singings far behind my door which if I would open; my tiny box of peace would be shattered. The pirates were probably celebrating outside. Despite of too many deaths I witnessed today, they could still celebrate? This is definitely a dark world.

A knock on the door made me jump from sitting on my bed. Instead of walking towards it to open, I decided it's more convenient to just stare at it. I don't really want to talk with any pirates right now but I bet, the door would just open whether I desire it or not. Another knock came and when I didn't do anything about it, was followed by several knocks. When I was sure it wouldn't stop unless I respond, I stood up and opened it. And just like what I thought, the noise overwhelmed the silence of my room and I saw the gigantic bulky man with Erasmus before. He had a tray in his hands with glass of water, bread and fish. I just had the same food this afternoon. I wanted to complain but I realized that I was a captive in a pirate ship.

"Thank you." I said as I received my dinner.

He didn't say anything. Instead, he just turned his back and walked away.

No talking to pirates then. I thought and shut the door. But before I was able to close it, a running ball of grey furry meat entered fast and rested on my desk. I looked at it and met a pair of slit blue eyes.

"Oh, you pretty little thing. How could you live in this floating hell all this time?" I said and walked towards it. It purred against my hand when I touched it.

"Well, Mister Cat, let's talk later after I'm done with my dinner." I said happily as I found a new friend. I had Argos back home as my pet. These animals were the reasons why I'm still sane right now. Yes, talking with animals and still feel sane.

I started eating my dinner and let the cat watched me. When I was done, I gave him the fish bones and he ate it hungrily. He must have an owner. Maybe, Erasmus? If someone has a pet and treating it good, then I could say the owner is a good person. And that would probably be Erasmus. He's the only one who showed kindness to me ever since I boarded this ship.

The cat walked towards the door when it was finished eating my leftovers. It looked at me as if it was asking for me to open it with its bluish eyes. I opened the door for him and he walked out of my room gracefully. It stopped on its track and stared back at me before walking again. It stopped in the middle of the hallway and looked back. That's when I decided to close the door of my room and followed it. The cat was walking towards the deck and I could feel now the coldness of the wind. Maybe this is a bad idea after all. Who knows if the cat is just a ghost? Maybe it was an evil sea creature pretending to be a cat and was planning to allure me to jump to the sea.

I made a step back but it made a soft meow before disappearing into the deck. Sighing loudly, I decided to go after it. The night was quite cold that it almost froze my bones from moving forward. I hugged myself with my both arms as I searched for the grey cat. I saw it perched on the railing eyeing me like it was there waiting for me. I walked faster towards it afraid that it might fall if it lost its balance.