Chapter 50: The Cost of a Name

Author's Note: I made some changes in Chapter 49 about the pirates going with Lady Primrose. It's just a little adjustment but still, you might want to check it out. Happy reading! ;)

The people of West Land made way as I wandered on the busy streets of the Sea Port City. Dorothy, Aiden, and a few servants were trailing behind me, ensuring that my needs would be provided. The West Castle guards maintained their distance but they made sure that I would be protected if anything turns out wrong. It was not how I imagined my visitation to the Sea Port City should be, but the West Castle, upon learning my wish to venture around the city, insisted that I must have companions while I was not behind the protective walls of their castle.

I could feel the warm wind that was coming from the sea. It was the familiar warmth I unconsciously seek; an adventure echoing through the wind. I turned my head to see Aiden in his training soldier's uniform watched the horizon dreamily, like it was where he preferred to be.

With an idea in mind, I decided to lead Argos away from the center and guide it to the sea side where I used to go whenever my family visits the castle in the past. They panicked and my sudden change of route and hurriedly followed me but relaxed when they realized that I just wanted to get near the sea.

Dorothy chuckled when she finally reached me. "Did you see how she suddenly rode Argos like an escaping thief? She looks awesome; like she's going to give these West Land people a heart attack."

Aiden who was just a few steps behind her, grinned and said, "You should see her in a pirate ship. She's like a goddess of the ocean who can tame the sea monsters. "

I smiled to myself as I listened to their playful bickering. Maybe this situation had taught them to be comfortable with each other's presence. Aiden was a playful pirate and Dorothy was a sassy wanderer, their differences had put a huge gap between them but somehow, they found this situation a common ground.

"Maybe she was happy to be in that place. The book I was reading told me that the best beauty regimen for women is to be happy," Dorothy concluded.

Alden snorted in a fake disagreement. "Happiness is a beauty tip for those who do not have good looks."

I decided to face them before the playful conversation turn into a bloody war. The servants were silently watching, amused at how the young girl could stand up in front of a pirate without fear. Dorothy was glaring at the smirking Aiden so it was clear who was taunting who.

"Do you think the pirate world misses us?" I asked; slipping my feet from the boots I preferred wearing and let the sea dampened my toes.

The smirk on Aiden's face faltered and his eyes focused on the horizon before us. His sadness and longing almost mirrored mine.

"The pirate world does not miss us. But rather, we are the ones yearning or it - craving for a taste of the adventure it gives," he answered pensively.

I planted my foot deeper into the sand, letting the coldness of the sea pierces my skin. "Right. Maybe the pain is not only inflicted to those who are left behind. Those who left might be hurting, too."

And I knew that it was evil of me to wish that the man who left me was suffering as much as I did. He probably did not have anything to do with the misery I was in at the moment, but still, I wanted to blame him. I could not help but focus my anger on those people who hurt me. That was until I felt anger towards myself - because I realized how I would be willing to give up everything just to stay with him during that time.