Chapter 48: An Act of Resistance

My life was turning to a cliché point wherein I had to marry a man I didn't like just to save my family and land. And to make it worse, I would be marrying the younger brother of the man I love. It could have been written in some cringing romance novel in the library as an interesting plot in its story. It was just that, it was happening in my life where pirates and rulers were involved.

I clenched my fists as I stare at my mother's back. I thought I could get some strength and courage from her to make my decision. But her weak sleeping form was the only thing I got. I couldn't wake her up for I knew that she was crying all night and this sleep was much needed. I couldn't afford to waste it. At that moment, I knew I had to rely on myself.

I had only until the next day to announce my decision; only the rest of the night to think about how I would save the East Land and the Crimson family. I knew that whatever I decide would somehow ruin me. And it was frustrating because why do I have to break myself just to save the important things and people in my life.

I sighed and kissed my mother's forehead before I silently left her room. It was already late at night and the visitors were already resting in the rooms provided for them. I was surprised to see Tarnus on the hallway pacing silently while deep in his thoughts. He straightened when he saw me approaching.

"Lady Primrose," he murmured as he touched my arm gently. Before he became a protector of the East Land, he was first my friend and I appreciate him staying by my side at this unfortunate situation.

"You must be tired after maintaining the security of the East Land. You should rest," I said.

He gave me a weak smile and gently pulled me in his arms. His embrace was comforting, almost protective. We stayed like that for a moment, enjoying the warmth his body provided.

"I know you are suffering. You are just hiding it well in front of these people. Primrose, please know that you always have me. You don't have to face it all alone."

I looked up at him and saw sincerity in his eyes. I knew that he was always at my side and he would do anything just to keep me safe. But I couldn't rely on him in every situation. I needed to show everyone that I was also capable of dealing with the Mainland.

"Oh, Tarnus! I know that, and I am grateful everyday because I have you – I have a friend like you. And as much as I want to stay under your protection, I can't do it right now. Not when the East Land is in the verge of chaotic turn. I have to stand and do something. I have to protect my people. I have to protect you."

Tarnus stared at me questioningly. He seemed to be confused by what I had just said.

"Lord Caleb was like a father to me. And if you are hurting then I want to share your pain. Primrose, let me help you –"

"You don't understand," I cut him off. "My father's death left the East Land in uncertainty. I can't just let them take everything away from me. I have to make a decision."