Chapter 70: Na Guerra Ninguém Ganha

Chapter 70: Na Guerra Ninguém Ganha (No One Wins a War)

I could see the end. It was right there facing us; threatening to destroy the Borgian Castle and the people in it. It had the force of the most destructible storm the Mainland ever had. It was staring straight at us; promising a tragic ending.

Beside the looming end: stood Death. It was watching silently; waiting patiently for the war's end so it could collect lives. It had the list and I didn't know what page my name appeared. All I knew was that we're all written inside it.

I was pulled from that sad and tragic realization when a strong hand grabbed my arm. I looked up and saw that it was Owain who left his position just so he could confront me at the top of the castle's wall.

"Are you insane? You shouldn't be here!" he yelled.

I almost snapped again. Just how many times would I be told the same words in this lifetime? Sometimes, it made me think that I don't really belong anywhere in this world at all. But if I wasn't meant to be here, then where should I be? I sighed in defeat and let him lead me back inside the castle. He was almost carrying me as he took his long strides and stopped abruptly in front of a huge double door. He opened it and shoved me gently inside.

"Stay here, Jonah of the Obsidian!" he said sternly. "I can't protect you if you're not inside this room." And with a warning look, he closed the door behind me.

I didn't get a chance to tell him to be safe. I wasn't able to express how I appreciate him being on our side. I just stood where I was; too shocked to even move as I stared at the group of people hiding inside the room. A little girl with a long silver hair ran towards my direction and wrapped her fragile little arms around me. Her older brothers followed her and stared at me with worry in their eyes.

"Did you see my mother?" Vivienne asked innocently.

Something in her eyes tugged at my heart. Maybe it was the brightness in those orbs; the youthfulness and purity?

"She's outside helping the physicians," I answered. She smiled at me and my heart weighted heavier inside my chest.

"See? I told you! Mother is safe!" she told her brothers as if I had just helped her prove her Cecilia's safety. However, it didn't erase the fear in Div's and Ren's faces. They just held Ron, their youngest sibling, protectively like he might be taken away from them anytime.

I knelt on my knees to face the beautiful Vivienne. Her eyes were full of innocence. I hated to break it but I knew that this time, I had to tell her the truth. I had to let make her understand that her brothers' fear might be right.

"How can you be so sure that she'll be safe?" I asked.

"Mother said that she'll be fighting beside the greatest men of the land and the sea. No can defeat the greatest!" she answered in full confidence.

The child believed her mother's words so much that not even his brothers could make her do otherwise. She was full of hope as she trusted the warriors, the pirates, the doctors, and the Borgian King to protect her. Cecilia filled her child with positivity and it made Vivienne shine in a room full of fear and hopelessness. If her mother fueled her to become a fire in the darkest night, then who am I to put it out?

I sighed. "Yes, love. Your mother, indeed, is one of the greatest."

"Is mother a doctor? She's really good in tending my wounds," she asked again.