T h i r t y

C H A P T E R

30

"I finally see the real you in the dark."

― Unknown

- S e b a s t i a n -

The furious rumble of rocks grinding against rocks has nothing on Hamsa's cry of horror. It echoes and resonates, hitting the walls around us hard, shaking my core and driving blood racing through my objecting veins.

Adrenaline pumps through my body as the scene before me unravels. A prickling feeling starts at the back of my neck and I know I have to do something, anything. There is no time for hesitation and no seconds to spare. The boy's life is at stake.

Against my better judgment I move. Everything goes out of focus as I push Hamsa out of the way and desperately launch myself at Hani in a mad dash.

With the space of a heartbeat I haul him into my arms and jump out of the way of the caving-in pillar. One too many jagged rocks bite into my skin as we roll over violently. The deafening metallic screech of Hani's wheelchair being crushed under the weight of the rocks follows us and I can't help but imagine what would be if it were us.

My senses are overwhelmed as a giant wave of dust and cement hits us. I attempt to shield Hani inside the cage of my arms while trying to steady myself and come to a stop. A huge cloud of debris billows into the hall, furthermore blinding me. Particles and bits of pillar cover every inch of my skin and sting my eyes. A small sharp rock hit me on the cheek and quickly I press my hand to the spot, feeling blood dribble.

My head hits the edge of something hard with a blinding crack. I inhale sharply and then gasp, choking and hacking violently as I draw in a lungful of dust. Pain shoot up my spine before I realize my back is pressed against a broken cement tile. I clench my teeth to stop the sickening sound gurgling in my throat from escaping and try to carefully peel myself away. White spots play at the edges of my eyes and I fight with all my might to regain my bearings. For a moment everything darkens and I think I'm going to pass out but then another thunderous crash sounds from above us and my pain is long forgotten. We have to get out of here before the ceiling decides to hug the floor, with us in the middle.

Sporadic coughs hiccup through the hallway and I wave at the air before my nose, slowly loosening my death grip around Hani. I gaze down at him, searching his body for injuries. It scares me how tiny and fragile his body looks.

"Are you okay? Does it hurt anywhere?" I ask as he pushes himself into a sitting position.

His eyes are perplexed, his mouth hangs a little open and I can tell he is battling to hold back a round of tears.

"Look at me Hani." When he doesn't, I grab his chin in my hand and tilt it up. "I need you to tell me if you are hurt so I know how to carry you out of here without making it worse."

He glances up at me, eyes tearing up and shakes his head jerkily. This sheds some of the dirt covering his hair and tear-stained face.

"Good." I sigh, letting my hand drop. "We have to hurry outside."

I push myself up on my elbows and then to my feet, staggering for a moment before catching my balance. I kneel, scooping him up painstakingly - ignoring the pain everywhere - and he secures his arms around my neck.

"Cover your mouth," I instruct him.

Coughing, I dive into the settling cloud and head to where Hamsa stands amid the dust and cement spray, looking disoriented and panicked. She coughs covering her mouth with the sleeve of her blouse. Her eyes are red, from both the crying and the dust. When her sight lands on is I can recognise the relief washing over her face.