T h i r t y - e i g h t

C H A P T E R

38

- H a m s a -

"April showers bring May flowers."
- Anonymous.

Eighteen.

That's the number of people who died in the bombings that showered our province in the past two weeks.

First, the main buildings were targeted - what was left of them anyway -, then the attacks just became random. Everyone lived in fear of their home or the u/building they're passing on the street exploding and taking their lives.

Making matters worse, the guards lost whatever was left of their humanity. They just broke into houses, took what they wanted, destroyed what they didn't and then walked away.

That was until, two days ago, every last guard disappeared from the streets of our province. They no longer patrolled or installed curfews and 'punishments'. Just like that, they were gone.

Most people are relieved, excited about this new found - if temporary - freedom. But some believe this means something worse is coming. And of course everyone has their own theory about what that might be.

But not me. Because I'm scared of what I might think if I let myself.

Though not thinking is hard to do when there isn't much to distract me, especially with school out after the building burned and crumpled to ruins.

I just wait for the answers, and of course they never come. He never comes. He just disappeared after that day he saved my life, again.

But still I wait for him to come tell me why his father is doing this, to tell me why he doesn't try to stop him. To ask him if he knew about this coming, to beg him to tell me that he didn't. That he didn't know our school was going to explode on the same day he insisted we be on a field trip-away from that bomb.

Doubts snake around my mind every passing day, and he never shows up to tell me I'm wrong. Worst of all is that I miss him.

Another thing that I wait for aimlessly is Yahiya's burst out; for him to say something-anything about Sebastian's secret or his absence. For him to demand answers as to whether or not I knew this when I brought Sebastian into our lives.

Regardless to all of this, when I open my eyes to the beautiful - unusual - sound of a bird twittering outside my window, I smile and put to mind that today would be an amazing day, Insha'Allah.

I swing the window open, breathing in the cool spring air-the smell of wet soil and dew drops on the few leaves growing on the oak tree. I run my fingers through my hair, combing through the tangles and then reach for the candle on my nightstand, lighting it up.

English guards aren't the only thing that disappeared two day ago, there has been a blackout ever since.

After praying Fajr, I take a quick shower, brush my teeth and then head downstairs.

My leg is almost healed, but I still have to be careful not to press on it the wrong way.

I start a little when the light from my candle falls on a body-like lump on the floor in the middle of the living room, and then I realize it is just Yahiya. He is slumped into a position that can't be comfortable, hugging dad's rifle that has become his new best friend in the past weeks.

I don't remember the last time he slept in a bed, or even just really slept at all. Ever since the raids started, he wouldn't leave his post in the living room, or rifle. Even after the guards left, he just wouldn't let it go.