T h i r t y - f i v e

C H A P T E R

35

- H a m s a -

"You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel."
- Anonymous.

"There you are," I cry at Anas, who has just walked through the gate of the sleepy winter wonderland that the school playground has become.

Everything around us is white and deeper white, and his feet carve a path as he approaches me, cradling a fishing pole. "Where did you go? I thought I told you to assemble the blankets and picnic baskets."

He comes to a halting stop in front of me, heaving and puffing; out of breath from running. "I forgot my fishing rod at home and ran back to get it." He cants his head towards the rod and his eyes gleam with satisfaction.

"You fish?" I ask.

"I've never tried it. The fishing rod was my father's, grandpa says dad was a pro fisher! Can you imagine that? Bash promised we can make a hole and fish in the lake together today," he says, and grins into a cloud of his own breath.

"That's very nice of him," I say. "If only he decides to peel his butt off his bed and enlighten us with his presence." I let out an irritated huff.

"He is very lazy," Anas says with a chuckle. "Just like you, Misa."

I narrow my eyes. "Look who's talking."

"At least I can admit it proudly." His cheeks are rosy from the cold and I want to cup them in my hands to warm them, but my hands are freezing too.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about today's trip to the lake. It hasn't stopped snowing till this morning and the cold is extreme.

The winter should be coming to an end, but it seems every day it just keeps getting colder.

"Alright, move along lazy pants. Go help Miss Lana with the blankets. We should head out in a bit."

"Aye captain!" He barks, marching away.

An air of energy and excitement fills the playground as everyone runs about, busy doing something to get ready for the trip. It took two whole weeks to sort things out for this trip, but it is finally happening and Sebastian is to thank.

He was the most enthusiastic about this, which is why he being this late worries me. What if he couldn't sneak out of the mansion in this weather? This trip will not be the same without him, but I can't cancel on everyone last minute.

Even Yahiya and Zayn shifted their schedules around so they wouldn't have work this morning and they could come along. I know it is so they can keep an eye on Sebastian but still, I'm sure they would be disappointed if we did not go.

Before I can slump and slip into grumpy mode, Sebastian's voice greets me cheerily, "Morning, Green!"

I plaster on my deadliest glare, anchor my hands on my waist and swivel. "You're late," I shout at him.

Immediately his cheeky beam is replaced by a look of horror and he lifts his hands up in surrender, backing away from me.

"I'll be the one opening the school gates for everyone tomorrow," I say attempting to mimic his voice, but instead I sound like a cow that's choking on plastic. "Obviously you failed to do that, since you're the last one to arrive."

Sebastian's efforts to hold back his laughter are to no avail. "If I sound like that, I'm never speaking again," he says.

"You would be doing us all a favour."