N i n e

CHAPTER NINE
HAMSA

Daylight is a blinding force outside and I have to shield my eyes with an arm as I climb outside into the open; all the while I'm all too aware of the rifle pointed at my head. When I'm up, I stand for a moment and look around in a complete haze.

Lush green grass extends for several yards, and scattered all around are large tents. Men walk in and out of them, shouting commands to each other. It looks like some kind of camp surrounded by a fence with razor wires looped at the top, beyond that I can see the shadows of the woods.

I can't help but notice how close freedom seems from here; if only I make a run for it. But even if I do, I won't be able to jump over the fence and I know I won't get far before I am tackled or even worse, shot.

I guess Abu-Bakr notices the looks I'm giving the fence and figures out what must be running through my mind since he says,

"Don't even think about it, it's electrified." He nudges me forward with his rifle and I can feel it pressing on my back as I walk in the direction he is steering me towards. I try to ignore the looks the men around the camp are giving me, some girls even peek their heads out of a tent as we pass it. I think it's not every day they have a newcomer. I keep my eyes on my feet being careful not to trip over my own abaya, that's the last thing I need right now.

We stop in front of a thatched hut that is at the far end of the field, just a few feet away is the fence, and further is the beach. We must be very far from the province if the beach is visible from here. I remember once a long time ago Uncle Yusuf showed me a map of our island. He showed me how close it was to the English Channel and Southern England, explaining why the English were tempted to claim it as theirs. And he explained the geography of the island; one side is surrounded by a series of mountains, and the other by the Celtic Sea. This must be the latter.

Abu-Bakr moves around me and shoves aside the curtain that is covering the doorway of the hut.

"Go ahead." He says nodding his head at the entrance. I hesitate, not knowing what to expect inside, a far worse jail, a slaughterhouse, what if there are others inside?

"What's inside?" I ask, and he raises his eyebrows. He shouldn't be surprised it's not like he's the most trustworthy person I know and I'll simply do what he says, no questions asked.

"I said get inside," he says and lays his hand on my spine and presses me forward. I step away from him and decide it's better to obey than he uses force; after all he does have a weapon.

I step into the hut and immediately see it's not a slaughterhouse. It's simply a kitchen, and it's a mess. Pans and pots are scattered on the floor and the shelves, there's a fridge and sacks of flour and sugar in the corner. A pot with something boiling inside is on the stove and it's unattended.

Abu-Bakr follows me inside, the doorway is low and he has to bend to enter. He places his rifle by the door and immediately rushes to the stove turning it off. I am tempted to snatch it, but think better of it. Even if I do get my hands on the rifle, I won't know how to operate it. My next move has to be calculated and not random if I want to get out of here alive.

"Dammit, that stupid good for nothing girl!" He shouts looking around, searching for this stupid good for nothing girl I assume. I feel a surge of pity for whoever she is and thank Allah it's not me.

"Aminah!" He barks, that's when a young girl surges through another door at the other side of the hut that I hadn't seen.

 The girl standing in front of us with wide panic stricken brown eyes can't possibly be older than thirteen. Her pixie dark hair and small posture only emphasis how young she is.