T w e n t y - s i x

C H A P T E R

26

"You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul."

―Swami Vivekananda

- H a m s a -

When knocks sound minutes after Yahiya has left for his second shift, it occurs to me that he is back for something he forgot - most likely his street pass. I put away the water jug I was drinking from, blot my mouth with my sleeve and head to the door, throwing my scarf on just in case someone is passing by.

I swing the door open and am surprised to see no sign of Yahiya. Instead a male figure stands across the front yard, his back to me. As he reaches out to push the gate open, I get a glimpse of his profile and recognitions dawns on me.

"Sebastian?" I ask, all but gasping.

He swirls around so fast that he slightly loses his balance and has to use the gate to steady himself.

"Umm, uh Hello, Hamsa," he stammers, drawing in a jagged breath.

I knit my eyebrows in confusion and feel the corners of my mouth sag downwards.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, my voice coming out almost accusing as I look around frantically. "Did anyone see you come?"

The last thing I need is for Yahiya to catch me having a conversation with this English guy on our front yard. The story I worked so hard to make up will be rendered useless and I'd have to kiss my newly regained freedom goodbye.

Sebastian lets out a short, shaky laugh. "Please, don't look so delighted to see me. And no, nobody saw me come here."

My face relaxes; I plaster on a tiny smile and pull the door slightly after me, walking further out into the gravel walk. He too takes wide steps towards me.

"I'm sorry. You surprised me, that's all," I say.

"Yeah. I gathered as much."

He is so tall Masha'Allah and has to duck his head to speak. I realize how close together we are standing and take a few subtle steps back, leaving a safe distance of a meter between us.

"Bright aren't you," I say, crossing my arms to form a barrier between us.

His eyes trail from my folded arms, to the distance between us and he purses his lips, his features going solid.

"I shouldn't have come uninvited," he says apologetically.

I simply nod, "Yes you shouldn't have."

He looks slightly taken back by my reply, like he expected me to say something else, perhaps that he is welcome here. But I am not one to lie. At least not about how I feel.

"I am sorry, but you know under the circumstances, it's not like I could have called to register a meeting or something," he says, attempting to joke. When I don't show any sign of humor, he goes on. "So I had to act creepy and follow you from the school. You work there?"

He followed me? What is his problem? Oh, he's English.

"Yes I work there," I say firmly, dropping the nice act.

"That is-"

"Did you want something Sebastian?" I cut him sharply.

He pauses as if to think through what he is going to say and I start losing my patience.

"I want to ask you for a favor," he says.

I raise one eyebrow appraisingly, wondering what on earth this guy could possibly think I can do for him.