F i f t y - f i v e | Hamsa

C H A P T E R

55

– H a m s a –

"Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve."
—Earl Grollman

"Maybe Grandma and I shouldn't go in with you," Yasmeen says as we head back to the reception.  

"Why? Is it the receptionist? I told you she'll let us in after I talk to her."

She bites her lower lip. "It is not that. I just feel we shouldn't all go in at once. We'll upset your sick friend."

Are Zayn and I still friends? After all that happened?

I sure hope so.

"I came to make sure you are alright," she says, smiling. "and so Zeina and Hani can see their uncle. So it's better if only they went in."

"Okay..." I say reluctantly.

"Anas and I will stay out here as well," Shiekh Hudhaifah says.

"But Grandpa!" Anas says, frowning.

Zeina's hand immediately flies towards his arm, clutching onto him. Her eyes scream with protest.

"Anas, this is a hospital, we shouldn't cause disturbance. Be a good boy and stay with me," Shiekh Hudaifah says.

"It is okay, Sheikh Hudhaifah, Anas can come along," I say, fixing up Hani who is on my back. "I'm sure he won't disturb anyone."

Anas grins and Zeina shoots me a grateful look.

Sheikh Hudhaifah looks unsure, but nods anyway.

"Good luck," Yasmeen says, stroking my arm and then goes to sit beside Madame Moneera.

"Thank you."

Anas takes Zeina's hand in his and they follow me to the automatic doors that lead towards the west patients' wards, where Zayn's room is.

Just before we reach the doors, the receptionist rushes on clicking heels to block our way.

"Excuse me, Miss, only authorized personnel are allowed into the patients' rooms after visiting hours," she says past a frown.

"I am authorized," I say curtly.

She blinks at me in confusion, her frown growing deeper. I gently move her aside and she stumbles awkwardly.

"Hey!"

But I just keep moving, and Hanj tightens his hold around my neck.

"I'll call security if you go in there, Miss," she says, her voice high pitched.

I stop, turning around slightly.

"There is a guy called Alex Holden in Sebastian Walsh's room," I say. "I think you should talk to him before you do that, he'll tell you why you shouldn't call security."

She gapes after us, mumbling incoherent words as the doors slide open.

"Let's move quickly," I tell Anas and Zeina.

"Are we going to be chased and then carried out by huge men in weird uniforms?" Anas asks all too enthusiastically, almost jumping up and down.

"Maybe..." I say, trying to call humour to my voice.

"Oh my God!" he exclaims. "It'll be like that movie we watched with Bash."

A movie?

For a second I am mad at Sebastian for letting the kids watch a movie, and I'm preparing a long speech for him in my mind, but then I remember he can't hear any of it, and an air of gloom descends on me.