Stop Standing There

She made her way into her room to eat nuttybuddies and cry in peace. How would she face them? Any of them? Lucas... Lucas! Does he already know, now? Was he told next, via call, or maybe even Ms.Beryl? He would crush her. She fondled the shirt she had taken from Jeremy a few years ago. His friend had dropped it when he was bringing it back from a sleepover, but it went home with her instead. Creepy, maybe, but cute? Okay, not cute, but it was special to her. Even if she didn't like Jeremy. Or did she? She dismissed the thoughts seeping in from things she didn't want to think about.

"It's too late for that," she told herself over and over, "you had your chance, just like Jeremy had his."

Her computer rang with the well-known jingle.

Arise, Edward: Group calling...

She declined. They called back once more, but with her repeated dismissal they backed off.

She fell asleep, and slept well, for she didn't wake till the next morning. Her dad didn't push her to go to school, but she knew it had to be done. She couldn't mope forever. She had to face them eventually. So she chose now.

On the bus, there was no Lucas, but sam got on at her usual stop.

"I heard," she said quietly.

"I'm sure you did."