Chapter 12

Echo

I know I shouldn't trust him so fast, but how can I not?

In the day I've been with him, he's been my hero. He's saved me.

"He will not hurt you. You know that. Keep your head high, things will look up in the future." My wolf murmurs.

I trust my wolf's instincts completely, that's why I am sitting here, listening to some silly song, smiling.

I curl up in a ball and let out a content sigh, listening to the two speak.

Brandon cares for me. My mate cares for me. Is this what family feels like?

I open my eyes when we stop.

My mate turns to look at me and smiles, "We are stopping here at this gas station for a break. Do you need to use the bathroom or anything?"

I shake my head no, watching him. He has dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. He's handsome.

"I got snacks," Brandon says, climbing back into the car, two bags and a tray in his hands,"I think you might like this."

He hands me a cup with a weird, cold liquid in it. I take it hesitantly, looking up in question.

"It's a slurpee. Just drink it slowly, you'll enjoy it." My mate says, an excited smile lighting his face.

I glance at it again, my hand numbing from the chill of. It's bizarre tasting. It's like frozen juice or something.

I flash them a quick tiny smile, but continue to analyze my drink, watching it curiously.

When we get on the road again, something starts making a noise. I think it's called a phone.

"Hello?" Brandon answers, holding it to his ear.

"Macy! We are on our way home. I miss you." His tone instantly softens and he talks to whoever on the side with happiness. Immediately, I know he's talking to his mate.

Is that how my mate will treat me?