Chapter 16

Echo

It all felt like a dream.

Before, I was waiting death. Anything had to be better than what I was going through.

Now, the sun's out. Everything is looking better. I can sleep peacefully, knowing my soul mate is beside me. He would do anything for me.

We were back on the road again. Beta wanted me to sit in the seat beside my mate but I just shook my head. That's not fair.

So I sat in the back, looking out the window. Everything I saw had me looking up in awe. I had never been outside of that house before. I'm glad I can experience it with my newly found family.

We stop at a food store. My mate keeps his arm around my shoulders, shielding me from the view of others.

They picked out a bunch of childish snacks, and some other neccesities.

They have it set so we won't be stopping for a while, other than for the bathroom.

My mate turns around from his seat, "Do you want some?" He shows me a bright red box with a blue bird on it.

I turn my head to the side, silently questioning it.

"It's a sweet cereal. Normally, it's for breakfast but it makes a good snack too." He lets out a chuckle, when I nod eagerly.

Taking a deep smell of the box, I come to a realization. That's what my mate smells like!

I can't help the giant smile that covers my face. I point to the box and then at him.

It goes silent for a minute before he processes, "That's what a smell like to you?"

I laugh escapes my mouth, my hand quickly going up to cover it.

"That was a beautiful sound." My mate murmurs softly, his cheeks lifting into a big smile.

I just give him a nod and put my hand in the box. After a period of struggling, I finally get a handful of the weird colorful loop things. Putting one in my mouth, I realize something else.

This is my new favorite snack.