The Four Marauders: Perseverance

Lily, Alice, Marlene, James, Sirius, Remus and Peter and Severus were all standing in Dumbledore's office, slightly cramped as it wasn't big enough for eight people.

"Hello, everyone" professor Dumbledore said pleasantly, his twinkling eyes looking at everyone from behind his polished half moon glasses. There were a few replies in his greeting but most of the eight people nodded in acknowledgment.

"Do you know why you're all here?" He asked them- they all nodded again, not saying much. "I would like you to look at this list and tell me what you think it's for" he handed Alice, who was the closest to him the list.

"If you could read it out for me please, that would be good" Dumbledore smiled at Alice as she cleared her throat to read it out.

"James and lily. Alice and Remus. Marlene and Sirius. Peter and Severus." She spoke, taking care over her words as she wasn't a very good reader and didn't want to slip up.

"What do you think the names are for?"

Everyone in the room was silent for a while, but Marlene spoke up. "Is it who you ship?"

Dumbledore gave a low chuckle, "no. No it isn't, do you want me to tell you what they are for?" He didn't wait for a response because his idea was going to happen whether all eight of them liked it or not.

"I have decided, that the best way to clear the air, as it were, is to make you try and get on. I know it isn't very democratic but I don't want this kind of petty behaviour to be happening in my school, so" he raised a long finger in the air, pausing briefly, trying to gauge their reactions, but they all looked confused, still not knowing what Dumbledore was talking about. "I have thought about what way would be best and I have thought of the idea of a bonding spell"

"What the hells that?" Sirius rudely asked, interrupting Dumbledore.

"It's a spell that only always you a certain distance in radius around the chosen object," lily said, desperate to answer a question. It was as if she was almost programmed automatically to answer, "So say if you and James had a bonding spell out on you, you wouldn't be able to go a set distance away from James and he wouldn't be able to go a certain distance away from you"

"Very well explained Miss Evans" Dumbledore complimented, lily smiled and nodded her head once in saying thank you, "so now presumably you know why there are these pairs are here for, yes?"

"Those are the pairs we will be bonded to?" Lily said, looking down at the list and seeing her named paired with James, much to her dismay.

"Exactly."

"When do we start?" James asked, very keen on the idea on having to be paired up with lily.

"Well there's no time like the present is there, Mr Potter? Seeing as you look very keen to start" Sirius, Remus and Peter shot James a glare, as if to say if James didn't look so keen, they wouldn't have to do this.

"Wait. Wait. Wait wait" Sirius said quickly, trying to stall time, "how are we meant to sleep and go to the toilet?"

"I have placed an enchantment on both the toilets and the dorms. When you go into one of them, your partner outside of the room you are in, gets bonded to the door so they can't run away. This only happens with the toilets and the dorms though." Said Dumbledore, "nice try Sirius" he added, knowing Sirius only did that to stall time.

"If you could get into your pairs so I can bond you together, that would be grand" he asked.

He started with James and lily, whipping out his wand and starting the incantation.

"vinculum vinculi simul" he said, making a flourishing with his wand. "Now could you two hold hands now please?"

Lily reluctantly held James' hand, James smirked as he got to hold her hand. Dumbledore repeated the spell on them again and then did it again on the other four pairs.

"All done. Now I expect you to take this seriously" he said, making a point to look at the boys as he knew they wouldn't take it seriously.

"Severus: Play nicely. Lily don't be too harsh and Marlene and Sirius, don't get up to anything" he concluded, "well you may go now, you can report back to me about how it went at the end of tomorrow, hope all goes well"

All eight of the children moved out of the cramped office, into the castle corridor.

They all walked back in a awkward silence, trying to pretend each other weren't there.

Lily, Alice and Marlene collectively hoped that nothing went wrong tomorrow or they'd be stuck with the boys also getting in to trouble for it too.

An sorry that took so long. I'm not sure if this chapter was too good. But the next update will be up sooner.