The Four Marauders: Conversations

Today was, not only the first day of school at hogwarts, it was also the first time James was going to try to talk to the pretty girl names Lily Evans. James had got up, out of bed at an early time, not wanting to be late for his first day of classes.

The moving stairs made a sleepy James jump as he hadn't even noticed them last night when he was ferried from the great hall to their dorm. Even within about twenty four hours of being at hogwarts James was already truly fascinated with the whole building because, even though it was made out of bricks and concrete, it made James feel almost protected, like Hogwarts was kind of looking out for them all, it was all completely irrational and very childish, James just felt that way.

Round the corner of the fat lady portrait, down three flights of stairs through the corridor, past the gargoyle and through the huge great hall doors, James tried to memorise, not wanting to get lost.

He entered the great hall, the smell of sweet pastries with cooked meat and toast. He walked along, a slightly Arrogant demeanour about him as he passed the gryffindor table, grabbing a slice of toast cut into a triangle on his way to claiming a section of the long bench big enough for himself, Sirius, Remus and Peter.

He began to eat his toast when he noticed lily and Severus walk it to the hall, hugging in a friendly way and Severus going one way, up to the slytherin table, adjusting his new silver and green tie. Lily waved at him when Severus reached the table with his new friends.

She didn't get a wave in return.

James quickly consumed his toast, gulping harshly from the dryness of the bread. He came jogging up to lily, grinning. "Hey, lily, isn't it?" He asked.

"Yes, I am. Are you... You're the boy from the carriage!" She realised, making James stomach drop, of course she would remember that.

James decided to act like he didn't really like lily. He remembered his cousin talking about how girls like that. "I just wanted to say how bad your insults were" James said, clueless as to how to act.

Lily furrowed her eyes brows, "unlike some, I'm not setting out to insult people". James was definitely wrong in his approach.

"I just wanted to simply point out that maybe you shouldn't try to argue with me again. Because I'm going to win"

"And I'm just pointing out how horrible and arrogant you are" lily shot back, dramatically turning round to her friends, giving James the evils.

"I was wondering if we wanted to get to know each other?" James said. He got no reply as lily was talking to her two friends. He mustn't of heard him. "Lily." She turned back to him, her friends also turning, "I was wondering if you wanted to get to know each other?" He smiled. She rolled her eyes and walked out of the hall, one of her friends. A girl with a short pixie haircut have a rude gesture to Jane sand stalked out of the room, her other friend, a tall, slim girl with blond hair gave James a death glare and carried in walking away.

James hugged to himself as he walked back over to his seat, slouching as he sat down and reading his elbows on the table and his head on his knuckles.

"What the hell just happened?" Sirius had just come down from sleeping, his long hair completely wild~ but not as wild as James. "I just saw lily raging to her friends about you" he said, "I think her friends are called Alice and Marlene, didn't catch a surname though".

"Don't even ask, Sirius" James moaned at him, rubbing his hazel eyes.

Sirius sat down next to him, eyeing James' toast and then grabbing a piece of his own, "did you try to talk to lily?" He questioned.

"Well obviously" James was starting to get irritated with him.

"What did you say?" Remus asked him. James decided He wasn't going to get annoyed with Remus because she was on speaking terms with lily, and if James showed is was annoyed with himself about what he said, then maybe Remus would explain that to lily.

"It started off okay, and then she remembered I was the one in the carriage yesterday, I then told her not to argue with me because she had terrible insults and then she just got annoyed with me and went" he explained, leaving out what lily then said to him.

"So you didn't even say why you were talking to her?" Remus raised his eyebrows, holding back a Smile.

"Well of course I did. I said that we should get to know each other"

"And was that before or after the argument?"

"Well- uh. It was after the argument- but does any of this really matter?" The boys shook their heads.

"What do we have first?" Sirius asked everyone, "I lost my timetable".

"We have double potions with professor Slughorn" Remus recited. "I memorised the timetable last night"

"You actually need a life" James joked, getting up from his bench and ruffling his hair as he walked out of the hall.

James saw lily on his way up to his common, "hey! Lily!" He shouted. She turned around, rolling her eyes, "I'm really so-"

"Shut up, potter. I don't like you." She said spitefully, "I don't like you, your personality, your hair, your glasses. Everything about you. I dislike, so I suggest you don't talk to me again" she mockingly smiled as she walked the opposite direction.

James stood there, opened mouthed. He didn't want to be friends with her anyway, he kept telling himself as he ran up the stairs, taking two at a Time.