Prologue

Edmund's POV

The house was blown up last night. The war has been going on for quite a while, effecting everyone. The rations weren't enough to feed all of our family and we were struggling to survive. Sooner or later my siblings and I were going to be evacuated to a safer place. As much as I would like to stay alive in a safer house, I don't want to leave. Leaving the house meant leaving dad. Goodness knows where he is now.

"Edmund!" Mum called, "Can I please talk to you?"

I walked reluctantly up to my mother and she led me into the spare bedroom. The walls were charred and were lacking the sense of colour we normally had in our house. I sat down on the bed next to my mother. She looked at me with pleading eyes and grabbed both of my hands.

"Darling, this is going to be very hard for the both of us, so would you just let me speak," She stuttered. I nodded in agreement and looked at her patiently.

"A long time ago your father made a grave mistake," She whispered, "He had been framed for stealing my best friend's son." I saw that mother was crying. I knew that this was going to be something big for the both of us.

"My best friend, Mrs Lawyers, you may not know her, but she was very close to us. Her husband was different. Mr Lawyers used to fancy me back in my school years," She explained with a laugh, "He was jealous of the relationship I had with your father and so he framed us. He made his wife believe that we had done it and she had shunned us for so long." I grabbed my mother's hand for support. I wouldn't normally do this, but I could see that my mother was hurting. I too missed my father very much and knowing what he had gone through before only made me long for his presence more.

"A few years after you were born, I reunited unexpectedly with Mrs Lawyers and I pleaded for her forgiveness. I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, but it was the only way for us to go back to our old times," She said as she wiped a few stray tears from her face. She looked away not meeting my eyes, "She said that the only way for us to keep the peace between our families was for our children to marry, and it so happened to be that her youngest daughter was the same age as you."

I gasped as I tried to figure out where she was heading to. What did this mean? Surely she would let this happen.

"Edmund, when you go to be evacuated you will be going to the Lawyer's household. There you will be introduced to Aloenera Lawyers. Mrs Lawyers will be expected for you to get along and possibly start a new relationship while you are there. I know you are young, but you are to be wed at 16 years of age." She concluded, finally meeting my eyes. I decided to speak up after my moments of silence.

"Mother, you can't expect me to marry someone I hardly know," I laughed angrily, "Mum; I'm 14 for Pete's sake! Forget it. I won't do it," I shouted, standing up to face my mother.

"I knew that you wouldn't, but please Edmund do it for me, do it for your father!" She cried getting down on her knees and hugging me tightly.

I took a sharp breath. I loved my father very much and knew that if I had to make a commitment, it would be to my father.

"Fine, I'll do it," I give in.

My mother engulfed my in a hug and I surprisingly hugback. I was never close to my mother. She always favoured Peter as he was theoldest. Somehow, I knew that by doing this I would gain my mother's trust. Besides,maybe having a girlfriend this young wouldn't be so bad, I mean, every boy in my class has one. At least they say they do.