The Rooftops

Aloe's POV

Edmund and I were the last to leave the dinner hall. We were busy talking about funny accidents at school. He is really funny and incredibly handsome, but I can't help feeling I've known him before. All of his stories seem familiar, as if someone has already told me before.

I finally decide that we should leave and I drag Edmund to my secret hiding place. This hiding place was the balcony that leads to the rooftop. This was the place I would go to when I was upset or needed some time to think on my own. I only remembered bringing one person up here I just can't remember who.

Once we reached the balcony Edmund let go of my hand and walked towards the barrier. His face was amazed by the different colours illuminating the sky. I chuckled at his childlike behaviour. I walked up to him and stood next to him, as I also admired the colours of the sunset.

I knew that it was dangerous to watch the sky during war times, but this is the only place that would ever keep me calm when I was upset.

After a long period of comfortable silence I decided to speak up.

"Edmund," I said gaining his attention, "What do you think of the sky?"

"It's very colourful," He replied smiling, "I can't normally see anything from my window,"

I was out of my mind by this second. I did something that I normally would never do. I grabbed his hand and intertwined our fingers. I know that this wasn't a big deal, but my mother always told me that the boy always holds your hand first. It was unladylike and showed that you were desperate if you did so.

Edmund looked at me once I grabbed his hand. He smiled at me revealing his gorgeous smile. He squeezed my hand slightly and I returned it. The moment was perfect for what I had imagined in my head, but there was one thing stopping me.

It reminded me of something that happened back in my primary school. It was a childish thing that I really shouldn't have done, but it brought back great memories. I wish I could remember who I shared that time with.

That was when Edmund looked me directly in the eye. His brown eyes stared into my soul. I remember those brown eyes. I remember having the exact same moment. At that moment, everything flashed back into my mind. I let out a surprised gasp.

I was in my first year of high school. I was 11 years old. My four friends and I were playing truth or dare inside because it was raining. We would normally be playing make believe in the fields, but the English weather got the best of us.

"Aloe, truth or dare?" Evelyn asked.

"Dare!" I exclaimed feeling braver this round. I never really picked dare in fear they would make me do something really stupid.

"I dare you to kiss Edmund!" Evelyn finally shouted after moments of silence.

I stood up in surprise. Did I just hear what I think she heard? She wanted me to kiss Edmund. To be honest half of me was all for it. I had the tiniest bit of a crush on Edmund, but I knew he never liked me.

I stood there struggling for words. They all laughed at my face, considering I was distressed and most likely scared on the outside.

"What's wrong Aloe? Are you scared?" Evelyn mocked rolling on the floor in laughter.

"I am not," I replied, "Besides, Edmund wouldn't want to kiss me anyways."

"I never said I wouldn't," Edmund spoke up, "I'm not scared,"

"Go on, do it then," James chanted.

Sooner or later James and Evelyn were chanting at us to kiss. Some other friends had joined in, but they were only here for the show. Edmund was looking chuffed with himself. He had this charm of his that he didn't knew he had. I could tell from his expression that the rising screams were annoying him to.

I just wanted to get this over with. I grabbed his hand making him aware of what I was going to do. He smiled at me. His heart melting smile gave me butterflies.

"Edmund, if we do this, is it going to change anything?" I whisper hoping he could hear me over the screaming.

"Let's find out," He said smugly. Before I knew it, one hand was on my waist and his other was on my cheek. I closed my eyes, as I could feel his gentle lips brush mine. Cheers erupted all around us, but what surprised me was that he hadn't pulled away yet.

What I was expecting was a frightening little peck, but no, we were practically making out in the middle of the hallway. He finally pulled away with a smug smirk on his face. He was instantly being pulled away and being cheered on by his mates.

Evelyn and my other friends were pulling me in the other direction all screaming at me and showering me with questions on whether he was a good kisser. However, I had to admit, he was a very good kisser.

"Aloe!" Evelyn screamed, "You just made out with the cutest guy in our class!"

Wait. I did? I never saw Edmund as the cutest guy in our class before. He never flirted with anyone, but I knew that his award winning smile caught the eye of every girl in my class

"What's wrong Aloe?" Edmund asked with a worried expression on his face.

"Nothing," I sighed laughing at his concern.

"I just remember you from our first year of high school," I explained, "When we were dared to-"

"To kiss?" Edmund asked cutting me off, "I remember that too,"

He smiled at me again. Boy had he matured over the years. He used to a stubborn child who always argued with his brother, but now he is different. I didn't know if it was because his mum had taught him to act like this, who am I kidding? His mum would never teach him to flirt with other girls would she?

It only took a moment of silence to realize we were only inches away from each other and I was still holding his hand.

"Say Edmund," I started shakily, "If we do this now, is it going change anything,"

He laughed as I quoted the exact same thing I said last time we kissed.

"Let's find out," He replied with a laugh.

This time it was different. He didn't surprise me with a sudden kiss. This time he took his time to work his hands around my waist and hold me properly. His right hand pushed a strand of hair away from my face. I placed my hands arpund his neck, pulling us closer together. He lifted my chin so I would meet his gaze and we leant into each other.

His lips brushed mine ever so gently, and it was just like last time. His lips were soft and moved perfectly in sync with mine. It was like magic. We stood on the balcony of the rooftops for what seemed like hours just kissing each other.

I knew from that moment on I didn't like Edmund. I loved him.