Crossing the River

Aloe's POV

When I woke up it was morning. The snow on the ground was slightly more watery. I guess that the hope we have brought to Narnia has finally weakened the White Witches spell. I decided that I needed to find civilization soon. I knew that Aslan had a camp somewhere, but there is a big river that we have to cross. I saw it when I left the beaver's house. I was also starving. It had been a long time since I ate and I didn't want to kill any animals because they might be loyal Narnians.

I walked for around an hour before I came to a clearing. I found the river through an opening in the trees. Oh no. The frozen river was starting to melt. I had to cross before it's too late. I start climbing down some rocks to get to the right level, when I saw the beavers and the Pevensies stepping onto the thin ice. Should I go and help them? They might be heading to Aslan's camp too.

My thoughts were loudly disrupted by the barks of wolves. I turned around to see a wolf stood on the rock I just climbed down from. I could see that two other wolves were surrounding Peter and that he had a sword pointed at him. It was probably from Father Christmas as he had said that he would be meeting them soon.

I took an arrow out from my quiver and loaded it into my bow, but I was too late and I was now being pounced on by the wolf. The slippery ice made us skid up to the edge of the river. I let out a frightful scream catching the Pevensies attention. I could hear Lucy screaming my name over the loud barks.

I took the arrow I was supposed to shoot and used it to stab the wolf. I quickly pushed the wolf off of me, before retrieving the arrow from its heart. I loaded my bow and aimed to shoot the wolf threatening Peter. But before I coukd release, I lost my balance and fell into the icy water.

The current of the water was too rapid for me to swim. I flailed my arms around trying to get to the surface, when I saw another floating figure moving towards me. Lucy. I got closer to her and grabbed her by her coat while trying to swim over to the other side. I pushed Lucy onto the bank as I climbed up after her.

"Lucy!" I heard Susan call.

Lucy ran over to her older brothers and sister and gives them a hug. They were all soaking wet from being engulfed in the river. Peter and Susan looked at me. I looked at them, waiting to see if they would say anything, but the space was filled with an awkward silence. They didn't thank me for saving their sister they just stared at me. I was hoping that we could all be together again, but I knew that wasn't happening. I sighed and walked off.

My head felt fuzzy. I hadn't eaten in so long and I hadn't had anything to drink but the salty water in the river. I ignored the feeling and carried on walking. The trees were not covered in snow anymore and it was warmer.

I was walking when I saw someone in the distance. Edmund? I called out to him, but he didn't acknowledge me. I then saw Peter, Susan and Lucy all in different corners. It was as if they were surrounding me.

"We never wanted you here," Susan sneered. Did she follow me?

"We didn't want to come to Narnia, we were better off without you," Peter snapped.

"You were the reason my brother almost died," Lucy cried.

"You would be stupid to think that I ever loved you," Edmund spat.

Tears were forming in my eyes. Every word that came out of their mouths hurt. They were like family to me, but I guess I wasn't to them. I fell to my knees as tears started to flow. The words started echoing in my ears before I finally blacked out.

***

Peter's POV

We were running on ice. We had to cross the river to get to Aslan's camp, but we were slowed down by the wolves for the second time. We made it to the centre of the frozen river by being surrounded. One wolf pounced at Mr Beaver making Mrs Beaver scream in defeat. This was not how I planned it.

I drew my sword and pointed it at the approaching wolf.

"Put that down. Someone could get hurt," He snarled. I could hear the ice breaking away. Susan kept screaming at me to put it down with the wolf encouraging her. I didn't bother listening. I didn't need Susan's logical and realistic comments right now. All I need is to keep my family safe. I heard a scream and saw Aloe wrestling a wolf. She skidded up the edge of the river, almost falling in. I turned my attention onto Aloe for a second until Susan starts screaming at me.

Then I hear it. The water fall behind us was about to blow and flood us all out of here. I turn back to Aloe to see if there was a way of me saving her, but she was gone.

"Hold on to me!" I scream over the breaking of the ice. Everyone held onto my coat and I stab the ice we were stood on. The fragment of ice finally broke apart and we were engulfed in an icy wave of water. We were submerged for a few seconds before resurfacing again. I made sure that everyone was still afloat as the beavers pushed us ashore. That's when it hit me. Lucy was gone.

"What have you done?" Susan shouts worriedly, "Lucy? Lucy!"

I turned around to see Lucy walking up to us with Aloe standing a few feet behind her. Susan and I hugged her tightly before looking back at Aloe. I wanted so much to thank her for saving Lucy's life, but after what we had done to her so far, I couldn't bare it if we hurt her again, and by 'we' I meant Susan. I looked at Susan and saw her give a glare to Aloe. I guess they were still on bad terms. Aloe sighed before stalking off into the slowly fading snowy forest once again. 

I wonder how Ed would feel about the fact we left his girlfriend stranded in a forest, where the Evil Queen could kill her at any second. If anything, it was Susan's fault and I wasn't afraid to admit it.