Dinner

Edmund's POV

I walked into the room I was sharing with Peter. I saw a light green dress shirt with some black dress pants. It also had a matching green sweater-vest and neck tie. I saw Peter had the same except his clothes were a more murky brown then green.

I looked around our king style bedroom. There were two four poster beds with light blue bedding. There were two grand wardrobes for both mine and Peter's clothes, both of which were filled with clothes that weren't ours, but were ours to wear. The bathroom was tiled and had an antique bath in the centre and a Private shower through another door. There was a full body length mirror by the sink and more cupboards which were filled with medical equipment.

I heard a door slam and I returned to the bed area of our room. Peter looked at me with amusing eyes. He was leaning against my four poster bed with his arms folded and a smirk plastered on his face.

"What?" I asked as went over to my bed and grabbed my clothes I was to wear for dinner.

"So you and Miss Aloenera Lawyers are a thing now?" Peter mocked as he laughed at me.

"Look Peter you don't know the whole story, so just come off it won't you," I reply angrily hoping not to be bothered any longer.

"Well then, you Mister have some explaining to do," He exclaimed sitting comfortably in the big armchair of the study portion of the bedroom.

I let out a sigh and decide to tell Peter about what mother had told me to do and what was to be happening in three years. I also told him about Aloe and I being trapped in a room for more than five hours. The scariest part was telling him that I had asked her to be my girlfriend afterwards. Knowing Peter all my life, he has had some experience with girls and I remember him telling me to never fall for a girl too early. But the sad thing is that I already had.

Aloe was very beautiful and had me easily wrapped around her finger as soon as she started talking about what she wanted to be when she was older. I was very interested when she told me that she took fencing and archery lessons, however, I did wonder when she would need it in life.

"So you and Aloe are boyfriend and girlfriend?" Peter asked gawping at me. I thought it was obvious from everything I just said.

"Yes, Peter we are," I said mentally face palming myself at his stupidity. Peter laughed.

"Don't tell me you actually like her Ed," He states, "You've known her for a day! How could you possibly love her in a day?"

I thought about that. It was very odd for me or anyone to fall in love in one day. I never really believed in love at first sight, but for me it wasn't love at first sight. We had the most of five hours to catch up on each other.

"Peter, I do like her, but I'm doing this whole marriage thing for mum's sake and father's," I reply.

"So you're only going to marry Aloe in three years because mum said you need to?" Peter asked, "Since when did you ever listen to what mum said?"

"I started listening after she told me that father would want me to do it," I replied, "And you know how much I miss dad, Peter!" Peter sighed suggesting that he gave up arguing about this anymore.

"We can talk about this another day, but just so you're aware, I am going to tell Lucy and Susan at some point," He said grabbing his clothes, "Don't feel like you could hide this from everyone Ed,"

***

I had remembered from mother's list of behaviour and manners that I was to pick up Aloe from her bedroom. I hesitantly walked up to her door and knocked three times. I took a step back and waited a little bit. After a few moments, a stunning looked Aloe walked through the door.

She was wearing a long sleeveless dress that fell to the floor in the exact same colour as my shirt was. I guess her mother must have done this on purpose. Her hair was braided on both sides and was pulled back with a clip. She wore very light makeup that accented her facial features, but most importantly her eyes.

She took a step out of her room before kissing me lightly on the cheek. A bashful smile crept on my face as she grabbed my hand and we started walking to the dinner hall.

It was quite a big room with a grand table in the centre. A glittering chandelier hung from the ceiling, as it illuminated the paintings on the roof. We had special name cards to tell us where to sit, and as I thought, I was sitting next to Aloe. My brother and sisters walked in a few minutes after we did, they too were dolled up and had fancy attire. Lucy gave me a smile as Peter and Susan smirked at me, I guess Peter had told them already.

Dinner was delicious. We had a remarkable three course meal of vegetable soup, lamb and crème Brule. It had been the best meal I have had since the war started. I wonder how they get so many rations to cook for all of us and the staff.

Aloe and I were talking pleasantly about her life here in this house, considering it was practically huge, until Mrs Lawyers stood up to speak. This wasn't going to end well.

"My fellow family and guests, I wish to propose a toast to the future Mr and Mrs Penvesie, Edmund and Aloenera," She exclaimed as she raised her glass. We all raised our glasses as I smiled at Aloe, although sending a glare to my three other siblings who were trying to stifle a laugh. I was going to get them back one day.

I know that it would be unwise to be giving fourteen year olds wine, but I'm pretty sure this 'juice' was either spiked with a bit of whiskey or just pure cordial that hadn't been balanced out with water.

I did notice one thing throughout the course of dinner. It was that Peter couldn't keep his eyes off Aloe's next door neighbour Kayla, who was visiting for dinner. She was about the same age as him and was also very beautiful. I couldn't help but laugh at Peter's blush when she had told him that she admires his sense of humor. That was something I was going to use against him one day.