Turkish Delight, a Dress and The Queen

Aloe's POV

"Are there others?" She whispered anxiously.

"There are four of us. Five if you count Aloe. Lucy is the only one who has been here before. She said she met a fawn called...Tumnus," babbled Edmund. Good going Edmund! He probably didn't know about the rule that the people of Narnia are not allowed to fraternize with the enemy, also known as humans.

"Edmund, Princess Aloe, you look so cold," The Queen noticed, "Come and sit with me."

I looked at Edmund and he nodded. We followed the Queen over to her sleigh where we sat down and were covered with the Queen's fur coat. It was very warm and cosy, although the coldness I was feeling was the nervousness from sitting with the Queen.

"Now, how about something hot to drink," She offered.

"Yes please... your majesty," Edmund stuttered. The Queen took a metal vile and poured two drops of green liquid onto the ground. Two silver chalices materialised on the snow and filled themselves with steaming hot chocolate. Ginarrbrik passed the chalices to the Queen who then passed them to us.

The hot chocolate was absolutely terrific. The feeling of having the warm liquid flow down my throat was relaxing. The sugary taste of the chocolate made my cheeks hurt from its sweetness. It was like bliss in my mouth. I could tell Edmund was enjoying it too, because his groans of satisfaction were very audible. The Queen and I chuckled.

"How did you do that?" I queried.

"I can make anything you like," the Queen stated.

"Can you make me taller?" asked Edmund. I giggled at his funny remark.

"How about something to eat," the Queen offered.

"Um, no thanks for me, the hot chocolate was very filling," I replied in a quiet voice, hoping not to sound too rude.

"Very well," the Queen said, "anything for you Edmund?"

"Turkish delight," Edmund suggested. Turkish delight was a very delicious delicacy and was one of my favourite deserts. She once again materialised a tin full of Turkish delight. It looked amazing. My mouth watered, but I tried to hide it. Edmund looked very hungry when he started eating, but I don't blame him, it was around three o'clock when we left.

"Come on Aloe, have one," Edmund demanded politely, "I know it's your favourite."

Damn it. I forgot I had told him all of my favourite foods and hobbies. Reluctantly I took one, but only one. I savoured every bite but ate it with poise and respect.

"You seem hungry Princess Aloenera," the queen recognised, "Why did you decline my request?"

There was no way of getting out of this. I had my caring boyfriend on one side who I couldn't lie to and the White Witch who could kill anyone with one wave of her magic wand.

"Okay, the truth is I am watching my weight because I found that my favourite dress that I have worn every time at our yearly ball for the past three years doesn't fit me anymore," I babbled. I smacked my hand on my mouth.

"Oh, Aloenera, if you have had the dress for three years you have probably just grown out of it," She explained kindly, "How about I give you a brand new dress that is even better?"

I politely accepted. She took Ginarrbrik's hat and dropped some of the liquid onto it. It started glowing and snowy white dress appeared in her hands. It was stunning.

The glimmering dress was a slim fit which sloped outwards by my feet. The pure gold belt around the waist line shimmered in the light. It had gold lace sleeves with intricate designs sown into it. Attached to the shoulders by a golden broach was a white silk cape that dropped down to the floor. It was everything I had ever dreamed of.

The Queen materialised a crown, some golden heels and a box to put them all in. I was literally speechless. She handed me the box and I gladly took it. I thanked her for her grateful act of kindness. Why was she being so kind to me? She hated my parents and tried to kill me when I was a baby.

"Edmund, I would very much like to meet the rest of your family," the queen stated after taking her attention back to Edmund.

"Why?" Edmund questioned, "They're nothing special."

"Oh, I am sure they're not as nearly as delightful as you are," complimented the Queen as she wiped away the powdered sugar that was left around his mouth, "But you see, Edmund, I don't have any children of my own."

She put a comforting hand around his head almost cradling him as if he was a baby.

"And you are exactly the sort of boy, who I could see, becoming prince of Narnia," she explained stroking his face, "Maybe even King."

"Really?" Edmund questioned. I could tell what the Queen was doing. After all of the stories my mother used to tell me about the White Witch, I could tell that she was a manipulating, selfish human being. She tricked those she thought were a threat and promised them things they can never have.

"Of course you'd have to bring your family," She added. Oh great. She was going to bring Peter, Lucy and Susan into this?

"Do you mean Peter would be King too?" Edmund mumbled.

"No! No, no," She laughed, "But a King needs servants,"

Wait what! I could tell by the expression on Edmund's face that he was actually buying all the petty lies that the Queen was telling him. I knew I needed to do something, but I couldn't just scream out that she was lying. The witch would probably kill me first. I have to make sure that whatever Edmund chose to do, that I support him but protect him at the same time.

"I guess I could bring 'em," Edmund agreed. Oh no! He was falling into the trap. What was I going to do? The Queen took the almost empty tin off of Edmund and wiped his mouth again. Ginarrbrik took the last piece before he threw the tin into the tree, only to be turned into snow again. Magic sure was weird sometimes.

"Beyond the wood, you see those two hills," the Queen started, "My house is right between them. You'd love it there Edmund,"

Edmund and I started to exit the sleigh trying carefully not to tread on her pure white fur cape. I wonder why she was only referring to Edmund. Surely she did not forget my presence.

"It has a whole room stuffed with Turkish delight," She tempted. Now that was a lie. I bet if he did end up going there, he would be chained up and eating stale bread and drinking out of a bone dry metal cup. Oh the irony.

"You two and I will be seeing each other again very soon," the Queen stated.

"I hope so, your majesty," Edmund insisted.

"Until then, my dear ones," the Queen chuckled, "I'm going to miss you both"

I had a feeling that this 'Queen' would be the beginning of more temptations coming this way. I had a beautiful gown that I was going to wear someday. Edmund got a whole tin of one of his favourite deserts. I wonder what she was going to do next. But what I do know is that I needed to keep Edmund away from the Queen before we see Aslan.