Remind Me Never to get Drunk Again. Part 3

You poked the blazing fire with a long stick, warming your chilly hands on its red glow. Legolas sat beside you, twiddling a small knife absent-mindedly in his long fingers, a smug smile on his face. After an entire day of begging, he still blatantly refused to let you know any details of the mysterious 'conversation' you had had the night before.

"Was it about that time that I kissed that Uruk-Hai?" you enquired, still desperate to find out, "Because that was a dare..."

"(Your Name)," sighed Legolas, trying not to laugh, his sharp features made even more prominent in the light of the dwindling fire, "In the last twelve hours, you have inadvertently told me more embarrassing stories about yourself than in all the time I have known you."

You groaned in despair. Of course, he was right. From the pub-crawl in Bree where you had woken up under a cow, to the time when you had eaten three whole chickens, you had managed to convey every story you didn't want him to know. All in a quest of finding the topic of the 'conversation' he was refusing to tell you about.

"Well if you weren't being so damn pedantic..." you muttered angrily, jabbing the fire a little too hard and sending glowing embers flying.

Legolas chuckled again, shaking his head. Aragorn, sat next to him, tried to hold in a smile. Gimli on the other hand, let out a belly-rumbling laugh at your discomfort.

Wait...

Gimli and Aragorn...

"You told THEM?!" you all but yelled at the startled elf, who actually leaned backwards away from you in fear of your wrath.

Aragorn tilted his head backwards and screamed with laughter, tears streaming down his muddy face, Gimli, sat next to him, actually fell off the log he was sitting on he was shaking so hard. Legolas looked much less comfortable... He had hoped that telling the two men would help him, but they just seemed to find it amusing...

(f l a s h b a c k)

Legolas sighed, twiddling with a strand of his blonde hair. She had gone off in search of garlic to flavour their evening meal, and he thought this might be his only chance. He ran on swift legs to catch up with Aragorn and Gimli, last night's conversation still playing in his ears.

"I love you. End of story."

Did she really mean it, or was she simply too drunk for anything she said to be true? Legolas couldn't lie to himself, he had been attracted to her from the moment they had met. It was very rare for him to find a woman with whom he could hold a proper conversation.

Most of the elvin women that he met were princesses, suitors, royalty. They were incredibly beautiful, and all of them were kind, gentle, elegant. Nothing like the human woman he had got to know over the last few months.

"Aragorn! Gimli!" he shouted, finally catching up with his companions, "I need to tell you something!"

All in all, they had been a lot less helpful than Legolas had hoped. Gimli had merely patted him on the back and said, "You're dead meat, lad."

Aragorn, on the other hand, had laughed so hard he actually had to take a seat because he was in danger of falling over.

"So you're telling me that she-" he burst into laughter again, wiping the tears from his eyes, "Oh you poor soul..."

Legolas had given up looking for advice by that point, and decided that if you want something doing properly, you had better go and do it yourself.

(F l a s h f o r w a r d)

"(Your Name)," said Legolas suddenly, cutting off the laughter from the two males, "May I talk with you. In private."

Aragorn and Gimli both looked at eachother with wide eyes, and then looked to Legolas, disbelief etched onto their faces.

You wondered to yourself what was going on, but decided that finally finding out was better than a lifetime of not knowing.

"Yeah, sure..." you replied, standing up and following Legolas into the dark forest.

You walked in silence for a while, the silvery moonlight reflecting off your faces and making them almost glow. The quiet was occasionally punctuated by a thin twig snapping underfoot, usually due to your clumsiness.

When you had been walking for about five minutes, Legolas stopped suddenly and turned to you, his face grave.

Your heart lept up into your chest, and you took a breath inwards slightly too loud.

Legolas' eyes snapped up and held yours. Intense. Too intense. You couldn't hold them, and eventually dropped your gaze to the floor.

"You wanted to know the topic of our conversation." he stated, his usually quiet voice sounding astonishingly loud in the silence.

Oh crap.

"Um... I... yeah..." you replied, stuttering over your words.

Why was his searching gaze making you feel so uncomfortable? It wasn't like he had never stared at you before. You often looked up whilst you were walking to find his eyes fixed firmly on you, although he usually averted his gaze when he noticed you looking-

"You said you loved me." he cut through your thoughts like a knife, bringing your attention spiralling back to the present.

"Fuck."

Oh shit, did you say that out loud? Apparently so, because Legolas was trying to hold back a smile. Suddenly and unexpectedly, he grabbed your hands and held them to his chest, so you could feel the strong, steady beat of his heart in your fingers.

"Don't worry," he said, his eyes never leaving yours, "I told you that I loved you too."

You exhaled loudly, though wether through surprise or relief you didn't know.

Legolas let go of one of your hands to brush a loose strand of hair from your face and tuck out behind your ear. His hand remained there, cupping your face gently, the warmth from his fingers spreading into your cold skin.

You took a small step forwards, until your scuffed leather boots were touching his, then leaned up on your toes and tentatively touched your lips to his. He gasped in surprise and you stepped back, hands raised.

"Sorry, sorry I..." you sputtered, embarrassed at having let your emotions get the better of you.

In one stride, he was in front of you again, but this time, he did not speak. Instead, he buried his hands deep into the hair at the back of your head and pulled you close to him, smashing your mouth against his. He moved one hand to rest at the small of your back and lifted you nearer.

You responded just as enthusiastically, throwing your arms around his neck and moving your lips in rhythm with his.

When you finally broke apart, more for air than anything else, you were both smiling like idiots.

"Come on," said Legolas, reaching for your hand and pulling you towards the clearing where you had left Aragorn and Gimli, "They'll be wondering what's happened to us..."

You smirked at that. You were pretty sure Aragorn and Gimli knew EXACTLY what had happened to you, and they were going to tease Legolas mercilessly for it when he returned.

"For the record, Legolas," you muttered to him as you walked hand in hand back to the blazing fire, "I didn't actually kiss that Uruk-Hai, I just kind-of pecked him on the cheek-"

Legolas burst into laughter at this, shaking his head in wonderment.

"Remind me to get you drunk more often, (Your Name)."

***************************

Please leave a review xxx