Bad Dreams

Imagine Legolas having a nightmare about losing you, and his reaction to it.

**********************

"Legolas!" you called, and he spun around to see you locked in battle with an angry orc.

The creature thrust its blade forwards, and you parried and stepped to the side just in time. The sword had nicked your side slightly, and a small burst of pain erupted from the gash, but you were alive... for now.

As you continued to spar with the orc, you failed to notice more and more of the creatures coming closer and closer to you, teeth bared and weapons ready.

Legolas, by this point, was desperately trying to reach you, calling out your name at the top of his lungs, but his feet were stuck to the ground. He felt as if he were wading through treacle, and his legs ached with exhaustion as he forced them into moving.

"(YOUR NAME!)" he yelled, over and over again, in an attempt to warn you of the danger fast approaching you, but his words caught in his throat, and all that came out was a choked, strangled gurgle.

You had noticed the foul beasts now, and jabbed your blade left, right and centre, killing every orc in your path, but it was not enough. They continued to close in around you, and your breath quickened as you realised there was no escape.

"LEGOLAS!" you yelled one more, desperation echoing in your voice, "LEGOLAS HELP!"

A blind panic overtook Legolas at the sounds of your voice, and tears ran down his face as he reached into his quiver of arrows and pulled one out. Looking down at the wooden arrow in his hand, Legolas recoiled in shock and horror as the inanimate object begun to move in his grasp, shimmering with dark magic. In front of his very eyes, the arrow morphed into a long, black snake with a pointed head. It hissed up at Legolas, and he dropped it in shock, watching it slither away across the battlefield.

At the sounds of your scream, his head snapped up, just in time to see a large orc impale you with a thick, black sword.

"NOOO!" he yelled, his voice ringing with agony.

A surprised look crossed your face, as you looked down at the hilt imbedded in your chest with confusion.

"Legolas?" you croaked weakly, looking around at him with tear soaked eyes.

The orcs turned around, and walked away from you slowly, and Legolas found that he was able once again to move his legs, as if the spell that caused him to be stuck had simply wore off. He sprinted forwards. and caught you just as your legs buckled and you fell to the hard ground. The blood from your wound soaked into his tunic as he lay, with you in his arms, silent tears streaming down his face.

"(Your name)," he muttered, stroking your matted, sweaty hair back from your face, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..."

A small smile flitted across your face, and you looked up into his eyes for one last time, before sighing and going limp, your eyes becoming glassy and cold.

*********************************

Legolas jerked awake with a start, sitting up and breathing heavily. Sweat clung to his neck and back, and he could feel his heart thudding mercilessly in his chest.

Glancing to his side, he noticed you sleeping soundly, the silken, elvish sheets protecting you from the slight breeze that filled the room.

It was a dream. It was only a dream.

A small choked sound escaped his lips as the realisation hit him, and relief flooded over him in waves so strong he thought he would drown in it. You were safe and warm and protected, Legolas would make sure of that.

Running a long finger down your uncovered arm, he settled back into the bed, heartbeat returning to normal, but mind still whirring with the memory of the dream. Nightmare, he supposed he should call it.

He had never imagined that the prospect of losing you would have such a profound effect on him, but it made sense. Elves only fell in love once in their lives, and for some reason, Legolas had chosen you, much to the chagrin of his father, Thranduil.

Thranduil had not been happy with Legolas when he had revealed his plan to marry you, even threatening to disown his son, but he had been persistent, and eventually the elven king had begrudgingly agreed.

Legolas smiled to himself in memory of the event as he settled back into the pillows, and you unconsciously snuggled closer to his warmth. He wrapped his arm protectively around your sleeping form, and closed his eyes in contentment. The nightmares would return, he could be sure of that, but with you by his side, he felt that he could get through anything.

*************************************

Thanks so much for reading, review if you have time x :)