All Will Be Well

A oneshot about Legolas attempting to help you through your depression.

***********88

"Here," said Gimli, passing you a thick chunk of bread, "You should eat. We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow"

You nodded and smiled, but it didn't reach your eyes. Taking the bread, you weighed it in your hand, before inconspicuously hiding it in your satchel. You had no appetite today, as usual. It was late, but the large fire that had been erected in the clearing did nothing to warm the icy coldness that you felt inside. You knew what your mother would say. "Cheer up. There's nothing wrong with you. It's all in your head."

But you knew differently.

You found it so hard nowadays. To do anything. Even waking up to a new day was a chore, getting out of your makeshift bed took more energy than you felt able to give. The Fellowship had noticed a change in you as well.

Sam always made sure to give you extra food, not that you ever ate it, and Merry and Pippin had a new song for you every day. You appreciated that they were trying to help, but their attempts were like paper trying to break down a brick wall. Legolas had noticed your decline as well, of course. Legolas noticed everything.

His firm gaze rested longer on you now than it had in weeks past. He looked worried. Anxious.

Sighing deeply, you stood up, attracting the attention of your companions.

"Is something wrong, lassie?" Asked Gimli, his eyes kind.

"No. Not at all." You lied, "I'm just going for a walk. I need to stretch my legs."

"Don't stray too far from the fire," warned Aragorn.

You smiled again, "Don't you worry about me. I'll be fine."

Turning on your heel, you walked into the darkened forest around you, the little warmth offered by the fire instantaneously leaching into the blackness. Taking a few steps forward, you continued to walk until you reached a small clearing. In the hazy moonlight, you noticed a small log, and you walked towards it and plonked yourself down.

Holding your head in your hands, the tears that had threatened to escape during the day came crashing down on you, and you sat alone, letting them fall free.

You don't know how long you sat there, silently crying, but after some time, you heard a twig snap behind you.

Instantly aware, your hand flew to your belt, where a sharp elvish sword rested. Your heartbeat quickened, and your breathing slowed. Standing up, you whirled around, sword in hand, to the direction of the noise, and saw Legolas standing in the clearing, arms raised in surrender.

"Don't worry, (your name), I'm not here to hurt you. I was just worried."

"Worried?" you asked, confused.

"Worried about you." He clarified, "What's wrong? You can trust me."

You sighed, and sat back down on the log, wiping the tears off your face with the back of your hand. You felt a warm presence beside you, and realised that Legolas had come to sit next to you.

"Please..." he began, and you looked up at him, your eyes filled with tears.

"It's just... it's just so hard..." you started, and you knew that he wouldn't understand. So many people had told you to just 'cheer up' and 'stop moping'. Why would he be any different?

To your surprise, Legolas put his arm around your shoulder, warming you up in the cool night breeze.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me," he said, squeezing your shoulder gently, "I'm here for you. However long it takes. Whatever you need."

Your eyes widened in surprise.

"Really?" you asked, "But... why..."

He smiled, and drew you closer to him, his lips brushing the top of your head.

"Because I care about you, (your name), as so many people do. You might not realise it at the moment, but in time you will come to see. Everything passes eventually, and soon, you will understand that you are very loved, despite your feelings of inadequacy."

Another tear fell from your eye, but unlike the last ones, it was hopeful. Sure, it would be hard, and you would slip up from time to time, but you didn't have to go through this alone. Knowing that, your heart began to warm for the first time in what seemed like forever.

*************