A Riding Lesson

The title is pretty self-explanatory. Legolas gives you your first horse-riding lesson x Hope you enjoy x 

****************************

Sighing to yourself, you crossed your arms over your chest and looked up at the horse in front of you. You had to admit, it was a beautiful creature. It's chestnut coat gleamed like molten bronze in the midday sun, and its long mane flowed gracefully down its toned back, catching the light and almost shimmering. How could a horse be prettier than you? Seriously. Elven horses were always so well-groomed. It made a nice change from the shaggy-haired dwarvish ponies you were used to.

That still didn't mean that this was a good idea.

Legolas had finally, after six hours riding through forests with you clinging to his back like a limpet one day, decided that it was time for you to learn to ride a horse yourself. He had handed you the horse's reigns, then left for a while, telling you to let it 'get used to you'.

So far, all it had done was attempt to eat your hair.

You heard a quiet rustling behind you, and turned to see Legolas walking towards you, a large bag in his hand. Smiling silently to yourself, you noted that his hair was golden in the sunlight, not unlike the horse's mane.

"How is she behaving?" he asked, his smooth voice echoing through the clearing with clarity.

"Fine," you replied, attempting to pat the horse's neck and having her snort in derision and shake her large head, before walking over to Legolas and putting her nose in his palm.

Well, that was embarrassing.

"I was talking to the horse," muttered Legolas, dropping the bag he was carrying, which spilled shiny, red apples onto the floor, and using both hands to stroke its mighty neck, whispering to it quietly in elvish.

"So," he continued, "Shall we start?"

You nodded a lot more confidently than you felt, "Yeah, right, let's go! How hard can it be?"

Legolas smirked at your bravado, and gestured to the horse, "Get on her, then..."

Your heart dropped. Unfortunately, you had only ever been able to get on a horse's back with the help of either Aragorn or Legolas. Never had you tried to do it yourself. But Legolas was watching you with a glint in his eye and you'd be damned if you gave up before you even begun, so you had to at least attempt it.

"Right," you muttered to yourself, shaking your arms and legs in preperation, "OK,"

Walking up to the horse, you put your right hand on its neck and your left hand on its back, then jumped up and forwards onto it.You effectively turned yourself a plank, and lay face down and arms at your sides, balancing horizontally on the horse's back.

An obnoxiously loud chuckle came from your right and you huffed, then ungracefully manouvered yourself so that you were sitting, facing forwards, the animal breathing deeply and slowly beneath you.

"I don't know what the problem is..." you said, slightly out of breath, "piece of cake, really..."

Legolas flashed a set of shockingly white teeth in a quick grin.

"I could see that," he replied, his face smug, as walked around to your side and once again patted the horse's neck.

"Grab the reigns," he instructed, and you complied, feeling the soft leather mould to your grasp.

"Pull back on them, it tells the horse to stop moving."

You nodded, knuckles white, as the elf went through the motions with you. It all seemed pretty easy, using the reigns and your feet to guide the horse left and right, and the pressure put on the bit in its mouth to dictate the speed.

"OK we're going to start slow," suggested Legolas, grabbing the reigns and leading the horse behind him, walking slowly through the trees, getting you used to the feel of movement below you.

Eventually, he let go and left you to your own devices, and you soon got the hang of getting the animal to turn and change pace. As you went on through the day, over rivers and fallen logs, you noticed the light beginning to fade.

"I think that's enough for today," called Legolas, as he stopped the horse and held his hand out to it, proffering a red, shiny apple. The horse gratefully accepted it, and chewed methodically as you attempted to make your stiff legs work after a day of riding.

"Need a hand?" he asked, holding out his arms, and you nodded and smiled thankfully as he grabbed you tightly around your waist and lifted you from the saddle, setting you down gently on the ground.

"Son of a BITCH," you muttered, feeling a painful twinge in your thighs and backside as you straightened up. Ouch.

Another grin from Legolas as he saw your discomfort, "You'll get used to that," he promised, "eventually..."

Legolas grabbed the reigns and led the horse away with him, and you followed, bow-legged, through the trees.

"That's going to hurt tomorrow!" he called behind him, and you swore quietly, earning yet another chuckle from Legolas.

This was going to be hell, but somehow, you couldn't stop yourself from smiling. 

***********************

Please tell me your thoughts xx